Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for Increasing Accuracy

NicolekhNicolekh Alum Member
in General 335 karma

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could give me a general direction to go in based on my history of PT's
I score in the lower to mid 160s and really want to get into the high 160s and possible over a 170. I have been studying since November, and am redoing the CC and lead a BR study group. However, I am scoring the same I was in November with usually around -22 for the exam. I don't know how my accuracy hasn't moved, and I always feel like I am at a standstill because I never know what to do to really feel like I understand the exam. I don't believe in having a LSAT limit on how well you can do, and I know I can get there with the right study methods, but I feel like I don't have that.

Walking out of PTs, I never feel like I do well even though I end up usually over a 160, which I know isn't bad. I just feel like I don't have a grip on the test/don't feel like I know what I am doing or how to study to increase my accuracy and break through the -22/-23 slump.

Could anyone give me suggestions on a possible study plan/ways to improve that are purposeful. A friend of mine suggesting just slamming PTs because he thinks its the timing, but I am a bit nervous about doing that considering I will probably take the exam in June or July, and want to finish the CC before taking more PTs. I also score usually around a 176/180 for my BR, so I know it isn't a conceptual issue.

Please help, thank you <3

Comments

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Wow! Your BR score is already really high, so it may just be a timing issue as your friend suggested. I would try to do some confidence timed sections which may be helpful. Try to record yourself which may help you see where you may be taking longer. I think just taking your time to record yourself and getting confident with your answer choices will help a bit as well. Maybe you can still take one PT for now just to see how you score rather than doing PT after PT. I will keep up with this post to see what others suggest :smile:

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    edited March 2019 2116 karma

So I do recommend the trainer (maybe skip over the the first few chapters on weaknesses as they may be off putting) lsat trainer does a really good job of getting you in a mindset of how to attack certain lr questions. I would then use it to make a plan of attack for every lr question type. With a backup plan in case things go sour (like for me in sufficient assumption questions I always try to find the gap and prephrase the gap before hitting the AC's but if that fails ie. My prephrase was wrong I fall back on a mechanistic approach)

I would use lsat analytics and ask yourself why those particular question types are your weak points.

For LG I recommend having a similar plan of attack for the types of games you encounter with a clear idea of when you want to split the game board and when you to attack the questions with a partial template. Lg is all about consistency and avoiding silly errors will more often than not get you to a - 2, - 1

RC is about consistency as well. Always read for structure, don't get bogged down in details have a clear understanding of what the author thinks and why the author wrote what an author wrote will serve you well.

Your understanding is exemplary you just need to fine tune your process! Process is everything

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

What are your section score breakdowns?

How many full PTs have you done?

• NicolekhNicolekh Alum Member
    335 karma

@"Michael.Cinco" said:
    So I do recommend the trainer (maybe skip over the the first few chapters on weaknesses as they may be off putting) lsat trainer does a really good job of getting you in a mindset of how to attack certain lr questions. I would then use it to make a plan of attack for every lr question type. With a backup plan in case things go sour (like for me in sufficient assumption questions I always try to find the gap and prephrase the gap before hitting the AC's but if that fails ie. My prephrase was wrong I fall back on a mechanistic approach)

I would use lsat analytics and ask yourself why those particular question types are your weak points.

For LG I recommend having a similar plan of attack for the types of games you encounter with a clear idea of when you want to split the game board and when you to attack the questions with a partial template. Lg is all about consistency and avoiding silly errors will more often than not get you to a - 2, - 1

RC is about consistency as well. Always read for structure, don't get bogged down in details have a clear understanding of what the author thinks and why the author wrote what an author wrote will serve you well.

Your understanding is exemplary you just need to fine tune your process! Process is everything

Thank you Michael!! I am going to make a plan for the LSAT trainer and send it to you! Thank you for sending me your support :)

@Alex I get usually -5 on both LR sections, -5 on RC, and -5 LG. Your help is appreciated!