Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice, feeling hopeless

lsathurdellsathurdel Alum Member
edited March 2019 in General 33 karma

I don't know where to turn to and am really struggling with this test. I started studying with a different prep company and started using 7sage a few months ago. I've written the lsat twice (sept 2018 - 146 & Jan 2019 - 147). I was planning on taking it next week (March 30th) in hopes of possibly getting a good score for Osgoode's cycle (but I'm feeling so defeated with anxiety and not being able to get through a single passage currently). I didn't think I would do bad the first two attempts, and getting all the rejection letters is deflating my confidence in this journey thinking its not for me. My pt's have been ranging between high 150s to low 160s now but I feel the anxiety and feel like the same thing will happen as last time and I will score in the 140s again.
if anyone has felt this way - can you please offer some assistance/what you did to overcome this the week of the test. I feel like my self-worth is low because I can't pass this test and I don't think I'm smart enough to attend law school at this rate.

Comments

• AnitaisSillyAnitaisSilly Alum Member
    12 karma

If you're thinking that the general population of students have scored higher than the 140s, you're wrong. Most of us have scored low, and it's OK. We all have different ways of learning, so think of the LSAT as that---you're learning a new language. In approaching a new language, it may take some of us couple of months, a year, or more. In this case, I'm sure you just have a couple of LSAT question types that you have yet to get a good handle on; so, one thing can be said here, you need to reevaluate your errors. You should analyze your errors each time you've completed your practice exam, even if it means taking the whole day. You may have trouble understanding the question, the stimulus, or pressured by the time proctor. All three can make a good recipe for anxiety, but nonetheless can be managed. Make a schedule to reevaluate the course with your incorrect answers, and DRILL. You see your progress from practicing, and it really is just that. Remember,everyone feels like giving up when there's a stump in the way, and it's because a lot of us are not accustomed to this style of learning. Make a schedule dedicating at least a couple days for reevaluation, try to find patterns in these LSAT questions, and take breaks. I'll say this again, take a break. You may be feeling down from studying way too much, and we forget that sometimes our brains need to breath too. Change your mindset to taking down the LSAT, and you'll feel an immense difference when taking the exam again. Keep your head up, you're doing better each day.

• alyssa.hunt86alyssa.hunt86 Free Trial Member
    edited March 2019 47 karma

Keep pushing through. Take note of your weaknesses and learn from them, not run from them. This is a new concept and it takes time. We ALL have the same psychological abilities. Some of us have had more practice than others. THIS IS YOUR PRACTICE!! Keep going!

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

Hey, I'm sorry that you are feeling hopeless. However, if you are scoring in the high 150's and low 160's under simulated test conditions, there is no reason that you can't score in that range on test day. It sounds like you are burnt out and being really hard on yourself. I would take a break and do whatever you need to do to get into a good place mentally. At this point, the hay is in the barn. You are either ready for the March test or you are not. Best wishes, and Godspeed!

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Hi there!

Honestly I can relate to feeling very down and hopeless about the LSAT, particularly when scores don't seem to match what practice indicates you can do. I had a point where I really felt that this test was just impossible or I wasn't smart enough to figure it out. I spent about two months in that place but I ended up breaking my plateau and in the process reinvigorating myself. Trust the process. Trust what 7sage has laid out. Foolproof LG, BR the LR and RC sections with a fine tooth comb, take breaks. It will come eventually!

• StudyingStudying Member
    54 karma

In motorcycling class they tell you to look where you want the bike to go. They tell you this, aside from the obvious reasons, because when it appears you're about to hit an obstacle it's almost impossible to turn your eyes away. Imagine heading straight for a tree at 60 mph and having to look somewhere else. It's very difficult. You get tunnel vision and you panic. You think if you can just keep your eyes on that tree you can avoid it. But that's exactly what makes you smash into it. In those moments you absolutely have to move your eyes and find a path around so you can steer the bike in that direction and drive into another sunny day in the rest of your life.

You have to think beyond the test and find a path so you can relax and not smash destructively into it. Make the test small in your mind and the path big. If you have to you might even imagine a great life without law school. With the discipline and smarts to get a 160 on your practice tests the world will be your oyster, no matter what happens. Plan it out in detail if necessary. Anything to get your mind directly off the obstacle in front you. Then you can negotiate it like a pro and get the score you need.