Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I go ahead and accept admission to a backup school before I hear back from my top choice?

big_tunabig_tuna Alum Member

Hey all!
So I was just accepted into one of my backup schools (#2 on my list to be specific). I was wondering if accepting at my backup school will have a negative affect on my prospects of being accepted into my first choice program. I'm relatively confident that I can still be accepted into my choice school (it isn't unrealistic, I specifically chose programs I was fairly confident I'd have a realistic shot of getting into, not swinging at the fences here). Would my first choice school see that I accepted elsewhere and think, "well, I guess he's already in another program so we don't need to pursue him anymore." That's my concern. My parents are all "go, go, go!" but I'm leery.
Thanks!

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Congratulations on your offer of admission! If the deposit deadline for your #2 is coming up, you should put down a seat deposit if you want to go to a law school this cycle. Your first choice school cannot see where you have deposited.

If later in the cycle you receive an offer of admission from your top choice, LSAC's best practices (https://www.lsac.org/sites/default/files/media/statement-of-good-admission_0.pdf) state that your #2 law school cannot prevent you from accepting another offer of admission from your top choice, even though a deposit has been paid or commitment made. Just make sure to let your #2 know that you are withdrawing your application if you commit to your top choice.