Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp Strategy

Hi everyone! I’m retaking the LSAT and reading comp is by far my hardest section to improve on. I used the 7 sage curriculum and in the process developed my own strategy. I wanted to share to see if it’s helpful or if I’m doing this all wrong.

I basically read each paragraph and underline the main idea in each paragraph before moving to the next. At the end I do a quick scan of all the underlined main ideas.

I find it’s helpful to do this in order to track the general thread in the passage and I can do the low resolution summaries in my head.

Is this wasting time and I should eventually do it in my head?

help

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@discipline
    I don't think underlining just the main idea wastes very much time per paragraph, and the mental mapping you are doing might take 20 seconds but should save you considerable time on the questions. Sounds like a decent minimalist notation strategy. During review, you should dissect the main point, tone, purpose, structure, and viewpoints for every passage. This will help you pay attention to those things during your initial read. Not necessary to notate everything. I prefer minimal notation personally.