Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

blind review at the beginning of the course?

Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
edited May 2019 in General 204 karma

I just started the core curriculum, at what point should I start using blind review?
If I should I be using it for the problem sets at the beginning, then how long should my timer be?

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@foolish90
    Blind review everything possible before looking at the answer and explanation. Problem sets you shouldn't necessarily be timing. You want to solve those. You're learning the question types and the strategies for anticipating the correct answers, and you should be paying attention to the reasons the wrong answers are wrong. After you've attempted the 5 questions in the problem set, go back in and fully label the argument parts and write out your justification for the correct answer and why the wrong answers are bad. Then you can look at the answers and explanations. Blind review should always be done because you want to figure out what you understand and what you don't. If you see the correct answer you may justify to yourself that you understood all along, even if you really didn't fully grasp it.

For full length PTs after the CC, obviously review and break down everything you were unsure of and all the RC passages and redo all the games. There are some good webinars and podcasts about BR. I used to just reread RC passages and try to answer the questions untimed, but my BR has become more involved and I am improving now that I've adopted some of those BR strategies talked about in those podcasts. Now during BR I break down the passage structure, the tone, the viewpoints, the main point, and I time myself for the read and each question all before I look at the answers and explanations.

Timing is important in all the section types. Once you are done with the CC you should absolutely do timed sections with full BR. Games should always be timed with a stopwatch. For the problem sets (at least the LR ones) I don't think it's a good idea.

• Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
    204 karma

Very useful. Thank you