Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for RC accuracy and speed?

SilentEagleSilentEagle Alum Member
in General 100 karma

My first few practice tests I have gotten two 161s. Although I do well on the LR and am sure I will do well on the LG when it comes time to take the test, I am having great difficult with RC. I cannot get through all of the passages in time. I usually only have 4 minutes left by the time I start the last passage. As a result I miss around 10-11 on the RC. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve speed without sacrificing accuracy?

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@SilentEagle
    Practice a lot of RC and you will naturally speed up. Most of the time sink comes on questions where you aren’t able to get the right answer through process of elimination. Time your RC passage read through, but know that some will take longer than others. You can make up for a longer read with faster answers on questions only if you are reading for the right information.

Review is key. Write out a summary of each paragraph, ID the main point of the passage, the purpose of the passage, the tone, the various viewpoints, and the structure (how each paragraph contributes to the main point/purpose). This is a ton of work, but you will naturally start absorbing that information during your read. The questions are largely based on those structural/viewpoints/passage purpose that you have practiced paying attention to

• SilentEagleSilentEagle Alum Member
    100 karma

@drbrown2
    Thank you for the advice. This will be very helpful moving forward.

• fycw2068fycw2068 Alum Member
    edited May 2019 404 karma

Have you checked out the memory method lesson yet? I was in a similar boat as you and this method has been a total game changer for me. It took some time practicing but I eventually got the hang of it. I'm now able to get through the passages within time and usually at -4 or less.

https://7sage.com/lsat-reading-comprehension-the-memory-method/