Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

quest for perfection

jermainepitts-1jermainepitts-1 Core Member
in General 21 karma

I enjoy studying for the LSAT--logical reasoning and reading comprehension. I get stressed out and depressed if I take too long to finish a practice session and get so many problems wrong. I know that I have to practice, practice, and practice some more, but failing over and over again can be demoralizing. It is hard for me to learn from my mistakes, as even if I stop to think and apply logic, I still miss the question. It is like my brain is wired to go fast, as I answer questions, seeing which questions seem logical, which look and sound right. What I have going for me, is my confidence in myself, and the desire to study, to do well on the LSAT. When I did Blueprint, I had gone through hundreds of passages, logical reasoning question, and logic games. I have re-read the Powerscore Bibles, read books on logic, re-read the Blueprint books, also those booklets when I first took their live classes. I had even considered taking a class on logic, from Bunker Hill Community College and Boston University. I am dedicated and passionate about going to law school.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@jermainepitts
    You could do every single LG, LR, and RC passage that has ever been released and see minimal improvements if your approach is wrong. I have not seen the Blueprint books, but I had the Powerscore Bibles and thought they were ineffective for me. I went through the 7sage curriculum and improved, but making big improvements from there took a different approach than what 95% of LSAT students have towards the test.

Most LSAT students take a PT, look at the answers, and try to figure out why AC B is correct. You aren't able to analyze your thought process under time pressures, you aren't able to analyze your thought process without time constraints, you are only testing your ability to see if you understand now that someone has given you the solution. The questions don't work like that. The answers to difficult questions are not obvious. The test writers understand the psychology of the reader and prey on the fact that the reader makes assumptions that serve as a blindfold. They are really good at tricking us.

One of the best things about 7sage are the study methods/approaches cultivated by both the instructor and the students. Some people spend years studying for this test, and the ones that eventually make the 20+ point improvements are the ones that found an approach that worked for them.

If you are feeling discouraged, take a short break. You are going to have a lot of ups and downs, but if you are too results oriented then you will inevitably take a PT and immediately check the answers, thereby squandering an opportunity to improve and gain understanding. The ultimate goal must be to improve your understanding, which will get you the score that you want.

Look at your approach to studying, and consider using new resources and approaches if the ones you've been using aren't working. I recommend 7sage both for the instruction provided to students in the Core Curriculum (way better than the books imo) and for the mindset coaching included in the curriculum/community.