Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it wrong to pay someone to take a class for you?

Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
edited June 2019 in General 346 karma

I will try to make this long story short. My ex-girlfriend who was supposed to graduate this summer from GW Business School had to take one more math requirement to graduate- an entry level business math course. She felt she wouldn’t have time to do it so she offered to pay me $200 to take the class. I felt very uncomfortable about this particularly given it seemed like she was just trying to blow off her work and take advantage of me. I offered to “help” in the class but she went off on me saying it’s either take the class for her or don’t help. Now, this girl is a URM and has had a lot of life problems. I met her my first semester at GW and never really was attracted to her. A lot of students thought she was my GF just because we come from a similar ethnic background and walk around together a lot. Anyways, I am really passionate about helping people so I decided to play into it a little bit (people thinking she’s my GF) and help this girl out a lot during my time at GW. But this last proposition is really where I’ve drawn the line. For example, she wants to go to UChicago for an MBA but has less than 2.5 at GW Business, can’t handle or even bothers to take the GMAT/GRE seriously let alone an intro business math course, and has no relevant internship experience or even an understanding of MBA admissions. It’s just like if you’re pressuring someone else to cheat and take a class for you that’s 1). An intro level business math class 2). A class you should easily know how to do yourself if you want to go to UChicago Booth 3). A class that you need to take to graduate then you’ve totally got another thing coming to you. And another thing is that during my business policy final she sat next to me and just started copying off my final which could have gotten me in a lot of trouble. That someone would just start cheating off you like that really concerns me. Am I being too harsh or was I right to cut this person out of my life? I said no and refused to help her any more and now she blames me for not being able to graduate. I’ve started seeing a new girl who I’m helping get started with LSAT prep and I feel a lot happier with her. It’s worth mentioning that I’m actually attracted to this new girl and don’t feel like I’m being used or taking advantage of. Anyways, I just want to get this episode out of my head. It’s just like I really wanted to help you but you can’t just take advantage of people like that. I want move on and find someone who I can eventually settle down with.

Comments

• jasmine.lsatterjasmine.lsatter Alum Member
    72 karma

I think it is wrong and you did the right thing (good for you). Don't look back.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question. Of course you should never cheat for someone. Academic dishonesty is good way to ruin your chances at most law schools. So no. You weren't being too harsh.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

You're completely right! You are not responsible to make someone graduate. Just focus on your new relationship, let the other girl do her own thing, and just focus on yourself. If she tries to feel bad and needs genuine help, then just direct her to better resources but don't get involved in that again.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

We all have our stories, our setbacks in life, and our issues. But we all have to do the work in college. Even if people need a little more time or accommodations due to disability, they still do the work. There's no excuse for anyone to ask another person to do a class or test for them. Nope nope nope.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Yes.

• munroomunroo Member
    7 karma

It is absolutely not your fault that she's going to fail. She's just trying to manipulate you. I would burn that bridge if you can.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Surround yourself in school, work, and your personal life with people you admire. You seem like your moral compass is correctly calibrated, so just trust your instincts and always try to do the right thing.

• Mario RoboMario Robo Alum Member
    266 karma

You sound like you get a straight head and that what you did was the right thing. I think congratulate yourself on that and move on.