large gap between BR and actual - LR focus

in General 310 karma

Hi everyone.

I have just started on my PT's/blind review after completing the CC for the past 5 months, and have a significant gap between my actual scores (around 150) to my BR (high 160's). I miss about a game a test which I know will come with JY's fool proof method, and my RC has greatly improved with the full tests I take (but still needs work). My main question is: will the gap in my LR close overtime with more BR and tests taken? In my LR sections I miss around 7-12 on the actual test and blind review from -2 to -4.

Any help would be great, especially from those who started off with low actual scores and high BR scores.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Yes the gap should close. Focus on improving your BR score and your timed score will tag along. As you get better, your accuracy and timing will improve and so your timed score will increase even if your BR score starts to flatten out. You should also be more consistent as your understanding and timing improves.

• 310 karma

@drbrown2 great to hear, thanks for the answer. did you do anything in particular that you found helpful when you first started completing PT's besides just blind review?

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@standardizedcanbelearned said:
    @drbrown2 great to hear, thanks for the answer. did you do anything in particular that you found helpful when you first started completing PT's besides just blind review?

Ya do LG every day and put in more work into BR than you thought was sufficient, because there is probably more analysis you could be doing. Keep a log of your BR misses or if you got to the correct answer for a different reason than J.Y./other 7sagers in the comments. Drill question types you feel less confident on.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Make sure that you're really studying your mistakes. It's not enough just to finally arrive at the correct reasoning, you also have to identify how you went wrong in the first place. This may very well be the one thing that most distinguishes high scorers from the rest of the field. You can't just study the LSAT, you have to study your own mind and method of reasoning.

• 310 karma

@"Cant Get Right" that's a great point, thanks for that. It's almost as if you have to identify that initial problem in your reasoning, and then break it over and over again so that you can easily identify it on future questions. Do you have any suggestion as to how I can do that more efficiently? It seems as though I forget what my original logic was when I begin to BR a question that I know I got wrong on the actual test.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

@standardizedcanbelearned said:
    @"Cant Get Right" that's a great point, thanks for that. It's almost as if you have to identify that initial problem in your reasoning, and then break it over and over again so that you can easily identify it on future questions. Do you have any suggestion as to how I can do that more efficiently? It seems as though I forget what my original logic was when I begin to BR a question that I know I got wrong on the actual test.

Yeah, a lot of times you have to reverse engineer it. It's a good exercise for any wrong AC, but vital for a wrong AC that you chose. What would make that AC correct? What would need to be different about the stimulus, or the AC itself, to make it all work right? Odds are pretty good that if you can answer that you can see how you were interpreting things and thus exactly what your misinterpretation was.

• 310 karma

@"Cant Get Right" that makes sense. thank you so much for the suggestions