Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discouraged by Recent PT

chadwickangchadwickang Alum Member
in General 29 karma

Hey guys,

In the last two months I've been getting really good results on my practice tests. I've been getting anywhere from 169 to 174, but those were PT35-50s.

On Wdnesday I took PT 84 and got a 166 and then I got a 165 today on PT 87, which was administered last month.

Are the recent tests really this much harder? I'm trying to calm myself because I was really confident to take the July exam, and now I'm back to square one (I got a 164 last year and resumed studying May of this year).

I'm extremely disappointed because I had thought the 7Sage CC has really helped me understand the essence of arguments and how to approach the exam in general. I really wanted a higher score so that I can lessen the burden that my wife has to carry as the sole provider while I go to law school. I had sacrificed all of my shifts at my job as an investment to get a higher score, and I feel like all of that has been wasted.

Any advice? I thought on Wednesday I wasn't in a very good condition but today I was totally fine. Still a lower score. I'm about to lose it.

Thanks for listening though.

Comments

• Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member
    517 karma

I've been getting anywhere from 169 to 174, but those were PT35-50s

Have you taken PTs 50-83? If not, it may help you out to take them in order. I don't necessarily think the newer tests are harder, but I do think there are some subtle differences. These differences are probably easier to adjust to if you go through the PTs in order, so you make the adjustments naturally.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Where are you missing more questions. The answer to your question is yes, the more recent tests are more difficult than the 30s-50s but only in LR and RC. LG is arguably easier in the more recent tests. (In my opinion that is because there are typically two very easy games and maybe one curvebreaker game if at all. LR is more difficult but I was able to get used to it and my LR score is now solid on recent tests. Unfortunately I haven't been able to recover in RC. I used to miss on average -4 to -6. On some recent tests I've missed anywhere from -8 to -12 on PT 87. Don't stress out though. Just know it's only subtle differences that cause us more trouble and I think everyone is capable to figuring out what those differences are and why they're causing trouble.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Yeah, they’re harder. But I think you’ll still be in good shape for this cycle- I would take July, and then take advantage of the free cancel/retake if you don’t score how you want. The core fundamentals that you’ve learned are still the same, there are just some differences in how they’re applied on the newer test. You’ll get the hang of them!