GPA Addendum-Extreme Circumstances

ElleWoods2.0ElleWoods2.0 Member
edited July 2019 in General 14 karma

Hi everyone! I’m trying to decide whether I should write a GPA addendum and how to write it!

Basically I took two year long college level courses in my senior year of High school through a local community college in an attempt challenge myself academically, but received a few C’s. However, around November two months after the courses my abusive brother attempted to kill me. While the event itself was obviously traumatic (I’m okay!) it was really what happened following that affected me and my GPA. I was still expected and did to live in the same house as him. (It was our family home along with my mother.) I also had to decide whether to press charges against him not only affecting me, but my mother as well. All of this caused me extreme stress and the inability to focus in school subsequently leading to the poor grades. Although during this time I was still able to graduate and be accepted to college which allowed me to move away and out of the situation. Afterwards I was able to dedicate my time to academics and received mostly A’s and B’s with roughly a 3.6 for my undergraduate GPA. I’m hoping this shows that it was just the extenuating circumstances that caused the C’s but I’m worried about the affect they will have on my LSAC GPA.

I wam wondering if I should write an addendum explaining what happened and the affect it had on my GPA/performance. Clearly the two C’s don’t represent my academic ability, but don’t know whether to write one or not. I also don’t know how to go about writing an addendum, I understand they should be concise and factual but don’t want to come across as if I’m asking for pity. I feel as though “My brother attempted to kill me and I genuinely could not focus in class” is a bit harsh/blunt and don’t want to make adcoms uncomfortable.

Thanks for any help!