Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC GPA

ALAMAROBALAMAROB Alum Member
edited July 2019 in Law School Admissions 71 karma

Multipart question here:

-Does anyone know if, when looking at the Academic Summary Report, LSAC relies on the Degree Summary GPA or the Cumulative GPA? (My cumulative GPA is .05 higher due to study abroad grades).

-My UGPA and LSAC GPA differ by .01 (LSAC GPA being lower). I think this is because of slight differences in how A-'s are weighted by LSAC and my undergraduate school (3.67 vs 3.7). Is this .01 going to make a difference?

-Am I correct in assuming that LSAC sees the actual transcript from the schools you have attended and not just the Academic Summary Report? In other words, will they see your UGPA? I am wondering if it will look strange to have one GPA on my résumé and another on the Academic Summary Report. [and more generally, I am curious as to whether they will see course titles]

Thanks!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

1) It is your cumulative GPA. This is the more important one, and the one that goes into medians.
    2) I'm not an admissions officer, but I really don't think it's anything to stress over. There's also nothing you can do about it, so either way, it doesn't really matter. But unless that .01 is the difference between being below median and above median, you should be totally fine.
    3) They will see both!

For anyone else in this thread, the resume GPA question brings up a good point- do you put your school GPA or your LSAC GPA on your resume for law school applications?

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

-Does anyone know if, when looking at the Academic Summary Report, LSAC relies on the Degree Summary GPA or the Cumulative GPA? (My cumulative GPA is .05 higher due to study abroad grades).

The CAS Report lists and the admissions committee will see both the degree GPA and cumulative GPA. The law school reports the cumulative GPA and uses the cumulative GPA for ranking purposes.

-My UGPA and LSAC GPA differ by .01 (LSAC GPA being lower). I think this is because of slight differences in how A-'s are weighted by LSAC and my undergraduate school (3.67 vs 3.7). Is this .01 going to make a difference?

The law school will use the LSAC calculated GPA.

-Am I correct in assuming that LSAC sees the actual transcript from the schools you have attended and not just the Academic Summary Report? In other words, will they see your UGPA? I am wondering if it will look strange to have one GPA on my résumé and another on the Academic Summary Report. [and more generally, I am curious as to whether they will see course titles]

The admissions committee will see not only the CAS Report but copies of each transcript you submit, showing the university's GPA calculation, courses taken, and grades received. It would seem odd if the GPA on the resume doesn't match the CAS Report. Since the admissions reader is going to have access to your transcripts and LSAC calculated GPA, it may not be worth causing confusion for the reader by having a different resume GPA, especially if it is higher than the one in the CAS Report. Good luck!

• ALAMAROBALAMAROB Alum Member
    71 karma

@"selene.steelman" Thank you! You wrote that it would seem odd if the GPA on the resume doesn't match the CAS report. My current GPA listed on my resume is my university's GPA calculation, which matches my transcript GPA but is .01 lower than my LSAC calculated Degree Summary GPA and .05 lower than my LSAC calculated Cumulative GPA. Would your recommendation be to leave GPA off of the resume then?

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Since the admissions reader will have access to all your GPAs in the CAS Report when evaluating your resume, it is not necessary to list the GPA on your resume. If you were to include it, it could cause confusion or it could be seen as a mistake.