Argument Part Questions - Labeling the sentence/phrase

Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member

I'm up to the part of the CC that discusses how to approach Argument Part Questions.
From what I understand, after reading the question but before reading the stem, we should label the sentence/phrase that the question is asking us to describe, in order to keep the goal in mind.

I have 2 questions about this.

1. Sometimes (usually in bigger stems), it takes me at least a few seconds to find the sentence/phrase and mark it. I'm worried about the time aspect of doing this and was wondering if it's still worth it to always find and label the phrase?
  2. With the the new Digital Lsat, is there even the ability to underline a phrase in the stimulus?

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2804 karma

Hey,

A strategy that has worked well for me for AP questions is to actually not read the part the question is asking about first. So I recognize that the question is AP, but I focus on just mapping out the structure of the argument when I read the stimulus. Once I think I have a good idea of the structure of the argument, I return to the stem and see which part they are asking about.

My reasoning behind this method is that I am able to understand the argument and not get too distracted or thrown off by trying to see what the statement in question is functioning to do, during my first read. I find this to be more time efficient as well.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

I approach the question similarly. I read the argument and map the conclusion and premises first and then look at what part of the argument is being asked about and try to have a good idea of what part the statement is playing before I ever look at the answer choices.

• Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
    205 karma

That's interesting, I haven't thought of trying that approach.
    I will try it out and see how it goes.
    Thanks!