Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lawgic symbol for "directly proportional"

Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
in General 205 karma

Example: "earnings is directly proportional to hours worked"

How would you represent this in Lawgic?

Comments

• JaytrongJaytrong Alum Member
    edited July 2019 54 karma

Honestly, there is are none lmao. Basic propositional logic just only allows us to represent it as (Earnings --> DP to hours worked). But, if it helps just do it as a ratio? So, Earnings : hours worked. Its better to represent it as a ratio if they give you numbers though.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    edited July 2019 470 karma

I suppose I'd use the generic proportionality symbol which can probably be best described as a ribbon-shape tilted onto its left side, or a greek letter alpha that has been squashed/stretched horizontally.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2019 1866 karma

@MIT_2017 said:
    I suppose I'd use the generic proportionality symbol which can probably be best described as a ribbon-shape tilted onto its left side, or a greek letter alpha that has been squashed/stretched horizontally.

Wait, what?? I actually use this! I thought I made it up though (clearly not, guess I'd just seen it before) 😂 It's like an infinity symbol with a bit of the right end cut off, right?

Edit: Yep, I looked it up. So I would write "earnings is directly proportional to hours worked" as E ∝ HW.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    edited July 2019 470 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:
    Wait, what?? I actually use this! I thought I made it up though (clearly not, guess I'd just seen it before) 😂 It's like an infinity symbol with a bit of the right end cut off, right?

Edit: Yep, I looked it up. So I would write "earnings is directly proportional to hours worked" as E ∝ HW.

Haha yep that's the one

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    401 karma

It's a correlation, so I just write a line in between them with 'Corr' on top of it. I'd avoid arrows since causality hasn't been established either way. Like in the example "The rate of ice cream consumption is directly proportional to the murder rate," where heat is the cause of both.

• Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
    edited July 2019 205 karma

Thx @LSATscrub
    A line with ‘corr’ Is very practical. I guess I can substitute ‘corr’ with any ‘x’ should I need to

• oneclimboneclimb Alum Member
    268 karma

this question might help illustrate: 34.3.19