Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions for people who were given the digital LSAT in July

maxbbarb7maxbbarb7 Alum Member
in General 182 karma

How did the proctors start everyone at the same time with the Digital LSAT? Also, did you find it easy to use the stylus on the tablet for highlighting sentences?

Comments

• CoolDudeCoolDude Alum Member
    57 karma

It was much harder since it lacked responsiveness.

• The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member
    364 karma

Stylus is useless and my proctor decided to make announcements in the middle of the test while we were working. It was rather bad honestly the worst testing experience I have had

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited July 2019 2689 karma

Highlighting was difficult, but could be done. Try and get some experience with styluses like those on the end of pens. It helps. They are not like the styluses that come with tablets.
    The test starts all at the same time for everyone automatically. I'm not sure if one of the proctors pushes a button or it's a timed system or something, but everyone begins and ends at the same time.

• maxbbarb7maxbbarb7 Alum Member
    182 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    Highlighting was difficult, but could be done. Try and get some experience with styluses like those on the end of pens. It helps. They are not like the styluses that come with tablets.
    The test starts all at the same time for everyone automatically. I'm not sure if one of the proctors pushes a button or it's a timed system or something, but everyone begins and ends at the same time.

I have been taking my digital tests on my laptop, so highlighting has been pretty easy since I can just click. But with the tablets on test day, was it a hassle for you to try to highlight/underline sentences with the stylus? and would you recommend using the stylus or just fingers? Personally, in the logical reasoning sections, I like to underline the conclusion.

• maxbbarb7maxbbarb7 Alum Member
    182 karma

@AudaciousRed ^^^ I left a response with a question to your comment on my post. I am not sure if it alerts you on here if I Quote what you said.

2689 karma

@maxbbarb7 It does :) Tagging names gets a notification, too.
    Okay.. So... I honestly didn't even try my finger during the test! LoL. I wouldn't recommend a finger tip because of the size of the text and all, but it might work. I had a little experience with the pen-with-stylus before the test, because I got one from my college and messed around with it on my phone. I had no idea it would be pretty much the same thing at the testing. ("I just traveled 6 hours and spent $200 for the test and all I got was this promo pen")
    Anyway, I found that highlighting was mostly successful. However, in the RC section, if I tried to underline a sentence where the first word was on the far left, it was a pain in the butt.
    I used the highlight option in LR, and I found that very helpful. Being able to highlight "EXCEPT" or "strengthens" or "justifies" to remind me what to look for in my answers. Highlighting the conclusion for some questions was helpful, too. I didn't try highlighting in LG, but I bet you could probably highlight anything you wanted that was text throughout the test. Switching colors or turning it on and off was a simple click.

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

Is there anywhere we can get one of those weird stylus pens to practice with? I think I saw a picture of it on reddit and that thing didn't even really look like a stylus lol it looked like it was just a piece of round plastic at the back of the pen?

• robyyynbrobyyynb Alum Member
    8 karma

@BlindReviewer you can get those on Amazon, just search for disc tip stylus. I haven't seen the pic on Reddit, but I have one that sounds exactly like what was described. They work pretty well but definitely require some practice to use deftly.

• DanielMacTavishDanielMacTavish Alum Member
    161 karma

@maxbbarb7 said:
    How did the proctors start everyone at the same time with the Digital LSAT? Also, did you find it easy to use the stylus on the tablet for highlighting sentences?

I guess I was one of the lucky ones because I found the whole process with the Digital LSAT to be seamless (No, I am not an LSAC rep :D )

The tablet has some good features, i.e a stand to angle your tablet up so you don't have to hunch over and strain your neck for 4 hours.

With regards to the stylus, the end that you use to highlight or navigate about the test is the back end of a pen, with a soft rubber ball that easily glides over the tablet. The highlighting on these tablets was way better than what I had been using for weeks taking practice tests online.

One recommendation I would have is change the font size to the smallest option. You will have a "familiarization period" before the test to choose your optimal settings in order to do this. This coming from someone with terrible vision :D I did this mostly because of how often you are unable to see the entire stimulus and the corresponding answer choices in one frame. Having to scroll up and down, returning to the stimulus, etc, wastes a lot of time for me and is distracting. Plus, the smallest font size isn't terribly small - it's far from fine print

• I Dunt Want ItI Dunt Want It Alum Member
    edited August 2019 111 karma

I took the digital version, and I did not like the responsiveness. I am unsure whether it was the stylus or sensitivity of the tablet. I felt at times I was jamming the stylus into the tablet for a response, I.e., highlight, or underlining text.

Regardless, for a fair experience/practice with the issue, I have two recommendations:

1. Grab a ballpoint pen and wrap up either end with shrink tubing or rubber.

2. Just use your face as a stylus.

In both cases, you will most likely end up with little response from the device, providing both the adequate experience and equally appropriate level of frustration one could experience during the exam.

(satire)

@BlindReviewer said:
    Is there anywhere we can get one of those weird stylus pens to practice with? I think I saw a picture of it on reddit and that thing didn't even really look like a stylus lol it looked like it was just a piece of round plastic at the back of the pen?

edited August 2019 2689 karma

https://images.app.goo.gl/9DeqnfXKGpHSRKe96

That's what it looks like. They're really basic. A lot of places have them as promotional pens they give away.

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    edited August 2019 855 karma

@"robyn.brody" thanks!

And also pretty frustrating that LSAC will go out of their way to transition into digital and buy expensive tablets only to give us garbage "styluses" (I mean isn't that just a piece of plastic) that won't work well with the tablets lol

• LexafrexLexafrex Alum Member
    edited August 2019 8 karma

is the rubber ball at the end of the stylus on the bigger side or smaller side? I'm looking at amazon and have seen them with different sizes, trying to find one that will be the most representative of the one for the digital LSAT. It is a stylus with a pen at the other end correct? Thanks!!

also, is the scratch paper they give you 8.5 x 11 standard??