Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Addendum addressing departure of my current job

Hi! I will be applying to law schools in the coming months for enrollment in Fall 2020.

The only thing is, I am moving to Thailand to teach English on October 1st. I plan to be there from October through next May.
I have been in the workforce for three years now, and I have a strong resume with experience in investment banking as well as corporate finance.

I am just wondering, would it be beneficial to address the reason for leaving my current job in an addendum? Since I am not addressing this in my personal statement, I think an addendum may be a good opportunity to 1) address the reason for departing my current job which will be evident on my resume and 2) allow admissions to learn of my upcoming travels / employment overseas.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I’m not sure if an addendum would be appropriate since you will be listing the new teaching job on your resume. In the personal section of your resume you could say what your passion is that is the reason for this major job change. Is it passion for travel? Service? One line plus the actual overseas job listing will prompt an interview question (if the school holds interviews) which will help you explain your reasoning. Let them focus on the more important parts of your application. I’m not an expert though so maybe someone who has gone through similar career changes or one of our admissions consultant has more insight.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

It is not necessary to explain your job change in a resume addendum. It is not uncommon for people to change jobs, and addenda are typically used to explain unusual circumstances. If it is important for you to explain why you are traveling abroad to teach English, you could do so by adding it your resume as work experience and putting your reasoning in a bullet entry.