Employer LOR - advice?

parkeunyparkeuny Alum Member

I'm soliciting advice regarding whether I should get a letter from my employer. In case it matters, I work at a big and well-known law firm and a managing partner would be writing me that letter.

I'm now about a year out of school, so will be two years out by the time I matriculate. However, I have 2 professors I'm very close with who have written many letters for me and know me very well (we text and catch up on the phone regularly and they know me both academically and personally) who are happy to write letters for me. Additionally, I have a third potential letter writer who heads a research center housed at Michigan's law and public policy schools; I recently had the chance to read the letter she wrote for my Master's application and it was strong, as well.

My question is whether, given that I have strong academic and kind-of professional letter writers, will it raise a red flag if I've been out of school 2 years by the time I start law school and don't have any employer letters, especially from a law firm? For schools that accept 4 letters, would it be worth using my 3 academic letters and also add an employer letter? I think they're all strong enough that they would enhance my application in a unique way. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

If you have only been out of school for 2 years, it would not be unusual if your application was missing a LOR from an employer/supervisor from your current position. The most important thing about LORs is that they are strong and positive, and they address the skills and character qualities that admissions committees are looking for. The good thing about professional LORs is that the recommender is likely speaking of your skills in a workplace setting and your professionalism. Employability is something an admissions reader could be looking for as they review your application. So, if given the opportunity to submit 4 LORs, it could be beneficial to add that perspective to your application.

• parkeunyparkeuny Alum Member
    162 karma

@"selene.steelman" Thank you for the helpful response!