Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To take September and settle or push off till March and go next year?

cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
in General 917 karma

Hey guys so i'm going to be a senior in college with a 3.85 gpa and I am seeking advice. I've been studying LSAT for around 8 months and its starting to really take a toll. I've made significant improvements from where I started and on my last 5 tests (61-65), I averaged around 170 but my RC score is so volatile and the worst section by far. In the last few months i've only been concentrating on RC and I feel like I am improving but at a very slow pace. My LG is -1 usually and LR is -3 to -6 total

I know if I go into the September exam, I probably won't be able to replicate anywhere near that score because of my RC problems. However I am confident that I can get a 163 or above which would be enough for me to secure UC Irvine and not lose a year. The other alternative would be to postpone the cycle, study more, and take the LSAT next year and shoot for UCLA/USC.

I'm also not looking to work in a big law firm nor any government job. Correct me if I am mistaken, but I've read that everyone wants T-14 because it guarantees them a big law job. So since I know I will not be working there, would it make sense to sink another year on lsat to go from UCI (rank 23) to USC/UCLA (rank 17,15)?

I've talked to some lawyers and they've told me that the school you go to is only important for your first or 2nd job after law school but then after that it all comes down to your work experience(if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know). I also do realize I would be limiting my scholarship opportunities by taking the test and applying this year.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

One thing about this is you can still potentially increase your GPA, which good, as a GPA can't be changed after the first bachelor's degree is finished. You've probably read about the new limits on the number of times someone can take the LSAT. If you went to a UC school, would you be a resident? Both these universities are very highly-regarded. I'd vote for taking the time needed to study.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

I would argue that since you are not aiming for big law, your priority should be earning the biggest scholarship that you could possibly earn. Delaying a year and continuing to study for several more months could put you in the high 160s to low 170s range. With a GPA like yours, combined with a stronger LSAT achieved through continued studying, my bet is you'd get a nice penny from the SoCal schools that you wish to attend.

MyLSN suggests that people with your GPA and about a 168-171 LSAT have gotten 6 figure scholarships to UCLA. If your concern is time, don't worry about it. When looking at the grand scheme of things, a year is nothing and you wont be worried about it 10 years from now when you're practicing. Also, spending like half a year studying for the LSAT might get you a 100k scholarship? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Good luck!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma
    1. Take some time off. Burn out is absolutely real. Slow down. Let your brain absorb it. Think about it,listen to some podcasts, come back fresh. I actually let study fall to the wayside my senior year. Paid off in massive gpa gains and when I came back to the material, things clicked better. Also, take a logic class. It helps!
    2. Which school do you have your heart set on? Does it matter? If it does, that's your answer. Another year pales in comparison to 3 years at a place you hate, wishing you were somewhere else.
    3. Scholarship dollars are for real. One year could save you 5+ in payments. Something to seriously consider. However, if you do go the year route, see #1.
  • cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    One thing about this is you can still potentially increase your GPA, which good, as a GPA can't be changed after the first bachelor's degree is finished. You've probably read about the new limits on the number of times someone can take the LSAT. If you went to a UC school, would you be a resident? Both these universities are very highly-regarded. I'd vote for taking the time needed to study.

Thank you for your post and yes I'd be a resident.

917 karma

@lsatgodjk said:
    I would argue that since you are not aiming for big law, your priority should be earning the biggest scholarship that you could possibly earn. Delaying a year and continuing to study for several more months could put you in the high 160s to low 170s range. With a GPA like yours, combined with a stronger LSAT achieved through continued studying, my bet is you'd get a nice penny from the SoCal schools that you wish to attend.

MyLSN suggests that people with your GPA and about a 168-171 LSAT have gotten 6 figure scholarships to UCLA. If your concern is time, don't worry about it. When looking at the grand scheme of things, a year is nothing and you wont be worried about it 10 years from now when you're practicing. Also, spending like half a year studying for the LSAT might get you a 100k scholarship? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Good luck!

Yeah its just that I feel like studying for lsat will never end. Its not really a big deal for me to lose the year, its the fact that I'll be studying lsat 24/7 throughout the year and hate my life. I definitely don't see the light at the end of the tunnel haha

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

It's OK. Sometimes lawyers spend years on a trial but the work is important.

917 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    1. Take some time off. Burn out is absolutely real. Slow down. Let your brain absorb it. Think about it,listen to some podcasts, come back fresh. I actually let study fall to the wayside my senior year. Paid off in massive gpa gains and when I came back to the material, things clicked better. Also, take a logic class. It helps!
    2. Which school do you have your heart set on? Does it matter? If it does, that's your answer. Another year pales in comparison to 3 years at a place you hate, wishing you were somewhere else.
    3. Scholarship dollars are for real. One year could save you 5+ in payments. Something to seriously consider. However, if you do go the year route, see #1.

Yeah i'd like to go to the best school possible in my area but its coming at a tremendous cost of time studying for the lsat. Also i've been trying to figure out why I'm putting myself through all these headaches and what the benefit will be besides big law. I believe you have to be proud of the school you go to and that If I settle for Irvine I might be a little disappointed. But i'd also be thrilled that i won't have to open another lsat book for the rest of my life lol.