Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

September LSAT? To take or not to take?

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
in General 630 karma

I honestly do not know if I should register for the September LSAT.

I have now until September 16 without work and school to dedicate time towards studying for the LSAT.
I had taken a Kaplan course back in May before I had discovered 7Sage. So it's not like I haven't studied at all. I have studied all the strategies for all the question types, but now it comes down to actually drilling myself and doing PT's. I have not completed all of the CC, however I have been watching the main strategy videos by question types without actually doing the problem sets (though I have done some questions to see if I understood the technique). In the next two weeks, I hope to complete the LG and LR bundle along with some RC.

For the last three weeks, I aim to do only timed PTs. I will be doing one PT a day, and then review the entire test the next day.

I am not sure if this is enough to be ready by the September LSAT date.

So the question is.. will this study schedule work to my advantage and should I just register for the September LSAT? The late registration deadline is August 9.

HELP! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

September LSAT
  1. Do I take it?28 votes
    1. YES, you can do it!
      42.86%
    2. NO, write the December one.
      57.14%

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

How comfortable are you with your score on Pt's? Do you feel like between now and Dec you can make significant improvement? Do you feel ready?

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Like @LSATcantwin it will come down to your PTs. If you are scoring above where you want to land in your PTs then I'd say go for it. If not, wait until December.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 3279 karma

Others have pointed out you haven't provided enough info. I want to highlight that
    7 PTs a week is a terrible plan.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@LSATcantwin @tringo335

I have not started PT's yet. So I am basically just starting to do drills now. I will be studying 8-12 hours a day so it's not like I don't have time.

@10000019 it's not 7 PT's a week, it's 3 a week (PT one day, Review the same PT the next day)

13286 karma

It really depends how you receive the test. Some people it clicks right away, some it takes a year to really get a hold of it. Have you taken a Diagnostic? How did you do there?

@jennybbbbb said:
    @LSATcantwin @tringo335

I have not started PT's yet. So I am basically just starting to do drills now. I will be studying 8-12 hours a day so it's not like I don't have time.

@10000019 it's not 7 PT's a week, it's 3 a week (PT one day, Review the same PT the next day)

Apologies I misunderstood your post. I thought you were doing a PT each day while reviewing the previous days PT.

630 karma

@10000019 no worries! Any suggestions though? Take it or no?

@jennybbbbb said:
    @10000019 no worries! Any suggestions though? Take it or no?

Before anyone can give you a solid reply, you need to tell us what you've been scoring, how you've been scoring (where are your problems), and what are you aiming for.

Since you haven't taken PTs yet, I don't think you can know whether or not you need to defer.

630 karma

@LSATcantwin I took one back in May, received a 145 but last year I was studying and I had reached about 150.. Now I basically have to restart studying. I will do another timed PT this week to see where I am at but I would have to register by tomorrow.. that's the only thing.

Again, keep in mind, I will be studying 8-12 hours a day. Just need some confirmation that I will be able to do it. I am a pretty fast learner and I improved drastically last year when I was doing logic games.

13286 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    @LSATcantwin I took one back in May, received a 145 but last year I was studying and I had reached about 150.. Now I basically have to restart studying. I will do another timed PT this week to see where I am at but I would have to register by tomorrow.. that's the only thing.

Again, keep in mind, I will be studying 8-12 hours a day. Just need some confirmation that I will be able to do it. I am a pretty fast learner and I improved drastically last year when I was doing logic games.

What is your goal score? The unanimous/professionally accepted length of time for studying is 3 months at a full time studying pace - and many say this is to short. I still don't have enough information though.

If your goal score is high 150's I'd say it's possible. If it's 160+ I'd say it's unlikely, but again I don't know.

How do you score in Lg? LR? RC?

Do you know he question types? How to approach each type of game? What RC is looking for?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jennybbbbb I wouldn't sign up for September at this point, at least not from the information you've provided. When it comes to LSAT study, you can't brute force your prep by studying 8-12 hours a day. 8hrs might be OK for some (w/ breaks), but I think 12hrs might be pushing it. You're going to hit some serious diminishing returns trying to prep 60 hours a week. It's also a recipe for burnout right before the exam...

I've also noticed --- at least from my own personal experience --- that if you go long periods without studying, you don't always pick up where you left off. Even after a week I come back pretty rusty with logic games and some LR questions.

I'd suggest restarting your prep consistently and diligently, then considering when would be a better time to take it. Ideally, you really want to work hard towards reaching a specific score; one that will get you into the school(s) you wish to attend with a nice scholarship. You also want to make sure you have time to properly prep, drill, and take plenty of PTs. Unfortunately, I don't think that's a feasible goal by September 16th.

This test is so important and you owe it to yourself to have ample time to prepare properly and do the best you're capable of doing.

Good luck :star:

630 karma

@LSATcantwin @"Alex Divine" I know all the question types and how to tackle each and every one. I also know how to approach the different LG games and I am also familiar with how to tackle RC. You could say I have basically finished the CC and am now starting PTs. I have had review over the past couple of months since I have been on and off with my studying routine. I have reviewed all the different question and I just finished the Powerscore LG Workbook. I feel fairly confident about logic games since I know I am capable of doing well with how well I have done on the workbook and from last year's prep.. I was beginning to score 18/22 on LG sections with only a week of studying specifically LG. Also, yes I am aiming for the high160s...

My main focus for the next two weeks is to really do specific question type drills and see if I can find any problems or patterns I am finding. I have covered all of LG and only need to practice practice and practice. Ideally, I would like to start PTs soon as well so I can start seeing how well I do in test like conditions with full length tests.

13286 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    @LSATcantwin @"Alex Divine" I know all the question types and how to tackle each and every one. I also know how to approach the different LG games and I am also familiar with how to tackle RC. You could say I have basically finished the CC and am now starting PTs. I have had review over the past couple of months since I have been on and off with my studying routine. I have reviewed all the different question and I just finished the Powerscore LG Workbook. I feel fairly confident about logic games since I know I am capable of doing well with how well I have done on the workbook and from last year's prep.. I was beginning to score 18/22 on LG sections with only a week of studying specifically LG. Also, yes I am aiming for the high160s...

My main focus for the next two weeks is to really do specific question type drills and see if I can find any problems or patterns I am finding. I have covered all of LG and only need to practice practice and practice. Ideally, I would like to start PTs soon as well so I can start seeing how well I do in test like conditions with full length tests.

Well you know yourself better than we do. We just have generic stats and advice that tends to apply in most cases. It is not impossible to break into the high 160's in a month. It's also not easy. If you feel confident in yourself, don't let us stop you. Again we are speaking from what we've seen in the past, what other masters/mentors have told us and from countless hours with the test ourselves.

You are ALWAYS the best judge of your situation though. So if you feel good, I'd say go for it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jennybbbbb said:

Sounds like you're off to a strong start! Even still, I would recommend that you don't sit for September administration if you haven't already been doing PTs and scoring near where you want to score. a high 160s score is an exceptional score that usually requires taking many PTs with ancillary review and drilling. You don't want to be doing a PT a day like you said you're planning on doing. That's not an effective way to improve because you won't have enough time to dedicate to meaningful review and drilling outside of those tests. Practice tests are great diagnostic tools that show us where we should allocate our time to improving. They aren't themselves the end or goal of our prep.

630 karma

@LSATcantwin Thank you for the kind words! I appreciate the advice! I think I will do it & see how it goes. If not, I can always take the December one. Just hoping I don't actually have to resort to that.

@"Alex Divine" I think everyone keeps misunderstanding me xD I won't be taking one PT a day, I will be taking 3 PTs a week so that I have time to review them as much as I can. Sorry for the confusion.. maybe I didn't word it right. Is there any real harm in doing the LSAT in December if I don't score as high on the September one. I really want to push my limits and I really think I can do it... Just incase though, is there any real disadvantage in writing the December LSAT if September doesn't go as planned?

3279 karma

If you're that committed to seeing if you can get ready by September, you could always go the route of signing up and potentially paying and skipping the exam.

If you aren't scorning in your target range consistently before the exam, then you're taking a gamble.

I don't think there is a big harm to taking both. Some people don't like having the lower score that is also reported, but my personal belief is that a school only cares about how you can help their statistics.

Also it depends on what schools you're applying to. December might be discouraged/put you out of ED at some schools.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    @LSATcantwin Thank you for the kind words! I appreciate the advice! I think I will do it & see how it goes. If not, I can always take the December one. Just hoping I don't actually have to resort to that.

@"Alex Divine" I think everyone keeps misunderstanding me xD I won't be taking one PT a day, I will be taking 3 PTs a week so that I have time to review them as much as I can. Sorry for the confusion.. maybe I didn't word it right. Is there any real harm in doing the LSAT in December if I don't score as high on the September one. I really want to push my limits and I really think I can do it... Just incase though, is there any real disadvantage in writing the December LSAT if September doesn't go as planned?

I'll put it this way, it is better to apply with a higher score in December than a lower one in September. And no, there's no harm in writing in December if September doesn't go as planned.

I don't think trying to get through 3 PTs a week is necessarily a good plan either. Once you start Pt'ing you very well might need to dedicate a few days or a week to addressing all the weaknesses one test might reveal. There's no reliable way to project how long reviewing and drilling after a Pt could take, especially in the earliest stages of PT'ing.

I just don't think you have enough time to fully prepare yourself for the Sept exam. I think setting a tentative date to take in December is a much better idea. The extra time will be a huge help! Pushing yourself to the limits is one thing, but rushing to prep for this test is a whole 'nother animal.
    Then again, try taking a PT sometime this week and assess where you're at with your prep. Maybe you'll score close to your ultimate goal and still want to take the September exam. Like LSATcantwin mentioned, you know yourself best.

Whatever you decide, I wish you lots of luck :smile:

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I vote wait and do December. Although I get the idea from your response that you really want to try and do September ;-). I feel like you're really wanting someone to say yes you can definitely do it within a month but like everyone else said, that's really hard to say and a tall order for yourself. But I say go for September if you really want it. If you aren't testing where you want, just skip the test. :)

• flashgrayflashgray Alum Member
    14 karma

I do believe the dead line for September has already passed but I am not 100% certain of this.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@flashgray said:
    I do believe the dead line for September has already passed but I am not 100% certain of this.

Aug. 9th is the last day to register for late registration.
    https://7sage.com/lsat-dates-and-registration-deadlines-for-united-states-and-canada/

630 karma

@LSATcantwin @tringo335 @"Alex Divine" @flashgray @"Dillon A. Wright"

Thank you for the advice everyone! I think I will wait and write it in December. That way I can prepare without having to rush myself and on the bright side, it gives me more time to work on my law school applications.

Thanks again! I greatly appreciate it.