Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Focus on LSAT or supplement LSAT studying w/work?

I just finished undergrad and moved to a new city, so I'm trying to decide if I should solely focus on the LSAT or if it would look better on my app for me to have a job durning this time?? I'm planning on taking the LSAT in Feb and applying next cycle, so obviously I'll be getting a job, but I'm wondering if that's something I should be focused on now or if I'm okay simply focusing on the LSAT for the coming months until I take it. TIA!

Comments

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

I think it might depend on where you are at as far as your goal on the LSAT. As far as your application, taking time off to study is not uncommon especially for people who just finished undergrad.

• dom.com-1dom.com-1 Core Member
    72 karma

As a person who has tried to balance work/study life, it can be difficult if you are working full-time. I recommend having a set schedule for both studying and working.

• eramasameramasam Alum Member
    36 karma

As someone trying to balance work and studying, i recommend focusing solely on the LSAT while you can, and then working afterwards.

• cris1222cris1222 Member
    edited September 2019 186 karma

I'm working full-time and studying, and though it is difficult, it is far from impossible. So long as you have a consistent and realistic study schedule, you will be perfectly fine. Set boundaries for every facet of your life, including the study and social parts of it. Set realistic goals so that you don't burn out, either. Work backwards when it comes to planning for your exam. Figure out how many months, days, and weeks. Plan the curriculum and then read-up on post-curriculum strategies.

And if you choose to work, careful with burnout. It has happened to me before. But in my opinion, working full-time while studying teaches you that you are able to surpass any limits that you thought you might have had. But it all depends on how you work, as it requires a high level of dedication and drive each day....and patience, and flexibility lol.

• Woodsy_567Woodsy_567 Member
    edited September 2019 257 karma

I’d say find a flexible job that allows you to work as little or as much as you want! That way you can prioritize studying when you want but also easily work when you need money or a break from studying. I’m substitute teaching, and I absolutely love it! I can decide the day of if I want to work or not and the pay can be anywhere from $20-$35 an hour.