Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preparing for LSAT Writing

brooke23brooke23 Alum Member
in General 19 karma

I know people don't generally make a fuss about the writing portion but what is the best way to prepare?

I know the prompt generally presents two 'criteria' and two 'plans.' Does it matter whether we recognize the criteria or plan as the main point of the argument? For example, do you have to argue that CRITERIA 1 is more important than CRITERIA 2 or PLAN A over PLAN B and consider the criteria - because one could feasibly argue that you are able to achieve both criteria 1 and 2 with one plan (could argue that long-term financial stability will yield the most profits over time). Or is that seen as not being decisive enough with your argument?

Reference: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-prep/practice-test/writing-sample-topic

HELP

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Argue one side over the other.

You want to summarize and emphasize the reasons why plan A is better than plan B (or vice versa). Part of the essay should acknowledge the justifiable reasoning in favor of the other plan, but you would minimize that reasoning because of some overarching fact from the criteria of evaluation that you believe favors your argument.

This is similar to memo writing you will do as a law student and as an attorney, because you always have a section in a legal memo that acknowledges the facts that are not in your party’s favor.

Hope this helps. I think there are a few good resources online that describe the process of organizing the info in the writing sample stimulus so you can be organized in your essay structure.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    edited September 2019 2227 karma

Dug up this link from a former discussion on the writing sample

https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/blog/the-lsat-essay-what-it-is-and-how-to-write-it-2/

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@drbrown2 totally nailed this one. Exactly what he said.