Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confusing necessary and sufficient conditions

lbalestrierilbalestrieri Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 110 karma
Hello all, I believe I understand the concept of sufficient and necessary conditions and their relationship, however, I am confused when in a flaw question the author or speaker confuses a necessary and sufficient condition and what this means and looks like. For example, in PT 64, section 3, question 11 - one of the answer choices says that the individual confuses sufficient and necessary conditions (it is the wrong answer choice). I haven't come across a question where this has been a correct answer, but I would like to understand further what this means. If anyone could give me an explanation for what this means or an example of what this would look like, I would really appreciate it!

Comments

• alex.yousif9alex.yousif9 Free Trial Member
    3 karma
    To say that a proposition P is a necessary condition for a proposition Q is to say that Q implies P (logically symbolized as follows: Q-->P).

To say that a proposition P is a sufficient condition for a proposition Q is to say that P implies Q (logically symbolized as follows: P-->Q).

To mix up necessary and sufficient conditions is to mix up the two conditional propositions (viz., (Q-->P) and (P-->Q)).