Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unusual Character & Fitness Question

TheLSATWombatTheLSATWombat Alum Member
edited September 2019 in Law School Admissions 11 karma

I wonder if I am being overparanoid about this, and from what I've read across many law-related forums may sense is that these are irrelevant issues, but to set my mind at ease, I've decided to post this question. I want an honest opinion from everyone here as to whether I should write addendi for either or both of these items:

I have a couple incidences from my teenage years that I am uncertain whether I should disclose on C & F, as they neither involve any contact with the law or with any post-secondary educational institution:

A. One is that I was suspended a few times in middle school for either fighting other students (I was bullied a lot) or on one occasion because I had apparently made comments threatening violence to the school (this one I remember essentially nothing about, other than I got suspended for this reason, I don't even recall the action itself)

B. The second is that the first time I took the SAT, my score got cancelled for an irregularity. During one section, the proctor called out for everyone to stop, I kept working for a few seconds after like a nervous idiot, the proctor spotted me, and my score was later cancelled for this.

Addendums
  1. Write Addendum?6 votes
    1. Both
      33.33%
    2. Neither
      66.67%
    3. A
        0.00%
    4. B
        0.00%

Comments

• mariebrittany0092mariebrittany0092 Alum Member
    edited September 2019 25 karma

Neither of those would matter. Read the admission rules for each school you are applying for. The schools should state what you need to disclose. You will usually need to disclose criminal convictions as an adult. I've received false felony and misdemeanor charges that I was knowingly falsely imprisoned for. The case was dismissed and I'm suing, but due to publicity I'm going to mention it. In my opinion, you should have nothing to worry about.

• TheLSATWombatTheLSATWombat Alum Member
    11 karma

@mariebrittany0092 said:
    Neither of those would matter. Read the admission rules for each school you are applying for. I'm sure the schools state what you need to disclose. Usually convictions, or if you were falsely accused and charged/ imprisoned for a crime.

Thanks! A concern I have is that some law schools state that they want to know if you've ever been disciplined by an "academic institution", which, read literally, should include stuff before undergrad. Is this how I should read those instructions, or should I assume they only mean post-secondary education, which is how a lot of other schools make it explicit?

25 karma

Also, they aren't going to look at your records from school as a child. They don't have time for that and don't care. You've completed a bachelors degree. They won't look at the SAT because it's completely irrelevant.

25 karma

@TheLSATWombat said:

@mariebrittany0092 said:
    Neither of those would matter. Read the admission rules for each school you are applying for. I'm sure the schools state what you need to disclose. Usually convictions, or if you were falsely accused and charged/ imprisoned for a crime.

Thanks! A concern I have is that some law schools state that they want to know if you've ever been disciplined by an "academic institution", which, read literally, should include stuff before undergrad. Is this how I should read those instructions, or should I assume they only mean post-secondary education, which is how a lot of other schools make it explicit?

Oh okay. I would think they mean post secondary, but honestly I'm not sure. That's odd. Maybe if you could call admissions and ask?