Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking November LSAT..should I do January also?

Jay HawladerJay Hawlader Alum Member
edited September 2019 in November 2019 LSAT 105 karma

Hello everyone,

I was wondering with the addition of another LSAT, is taking the January LSAT for the same cycle late?

I am signed up for the November LSAT but I was considering also signing up for January just in case. Would it be worth my time and money to do so?

Currently my BR is at my goal score but my timed score is below it.

Thank you!

January 2020 LSAT
  1. Should I take it?19 votes
    1. Don’t do it, it’s too late for this cycle
      21.05%
    2. Pay for it now as the safety net for your November LSAT
      78.95%

Comments

• jennoodlesjennoodles Live Member
    15 karma

I'm in the same boat! I decided to sign up for January to give myself some peace of mind and know that there is another option for me even though it is a little later in terms of applying than I hoped. If it helps I think you should take the November as if that's the score you are going to apply with (also feel out how you think you did after the test and kind of predict your score) then spend some time after the LSAT working on your personal statement/applications and everything. By then you will know if you need to take the test again in January but at least you will have started working towards completing admissions applications. That way, if you do end up needing to take the January lsat you will have all the materials ready to go and submit.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I think it depends on the schools you plan on applying to. If you have aspirations for schools that have hard deadlines in February, January is probably too late. A lot of those schools require your LSAT score to be from 2019.

Plan on knocking the November test out of the park, but if you need a retake you might be a little late with a January score for some schools. If that's the case, it isn't the end of the world! You would then have 6 months to study before next cycle's June exam and would be applying at the very beginning of next cycle. I was in this exact situation last November and I'm glad I waited until June/July for my retakes.

• Jay HawladerJay Hawlader Alum Member
    105 karma

@jennoodles said:
    I'm in the same boat! I decided to sign up for January to give myself some peace of mind and know that there is another option for me even though it is a little later in terms of applying than I hoped. If it helps I think you should take the November as if that's the score you are going to apply with (also feel out how you think you did after the test and kind of predict your score) then spend some time after the LSAT working on your personal statement/applications and everything. By then you will know if you need to take the test again in January but at least you will have started working towards completing admissions applications. That way, if you do end up needing to take the January lsat you will have all the materials ready to go and submit.

Thanks Jenn, I decided to get the January LSAT ticket! I plan on studying right after my november test and even if I am pleased with the results (enough so to apply to all my schools) I can just use a potential higher january LSAT to negotiate some schollys

• Jay HawladerJay Hawlader Alum Member
    105 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    I think it depends on the schools you plan on applying to. If you have aspirations for schools that have hard deadlines in February, January is probably too late. A lot of those schools require your LSAT score to be from 2019.

Plan on knocking the November test out of the park, but if you need a retake you might be a little late with a January score for some schools. If that's the case, it isn't the end of the world! You would then have 6 months to study before next cycle's June exam and would be applying at the very beginning of next cycle. I was in this exact situation last November and I'm glad I waited until June/July for my retakes.

Thanks for the reply! I decided to go ahead and get the January LSAT. I am trying to get into some of the more local schools in NYC and figured even if I do well in the November LSAT I could use a potentially higher score in January as scholarship negotiation bait. Definitely hope to knock it out of the park for November though, like you said!