Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Realistic Goals for Three Month Prep

taber605taber605 Alum Member
in General 19 karma

I decided that I am going to take the lsat in January 2020 so that I can at least make an attempt at being accepted somewhere for Fall 2020. I took the PT and got a 141 without any prior knowledge of the test. All of the schools I am looking at have median lsat scores of 158 or lower. The highest ranking one is in the low 60's. I would like to set a goal for myself of getting between 155-160. Given that I have a 12 week window, is that a realistic goal? I purchased the Powerscore Bible Trilogy and two books with 10 practice tests a piece. I also plan on dedicating 3-4 hours a day M-F, as well as 6+ hours per day on Saturday and Sunday. I also plan on using the 7Sage LSAT Starter. I have no intent on trying to get a scholarship. I just want to be able to submit competitive applications. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.33 and a graduate GPA of 3.53 (I know these don't really count for much).

Long story short, is it realistic to think that I could obtain a score in the mid 150's with a three month study window?

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Why not delay one cycle and try to really devote time to get a high score?

• taber605taber605 Alum Member
    19 karma

I have the opportunity to apply this year so i am going to give it my best effort. Should things go horrible I will be able to reevaluate and prep much more thoroughly for the next cycle. I would be very happy with any of the schools I have in mind so if there were any chance that i got accepted to one of them this year I am going to take it.

• sietesabiosietesabio Alum Member
    edited October 2019 14 karma

I would:

1) Proceed through one curriculum.
    2) Use one test to practice using that curriculum's methods (especially important for AR).
    3) Take a timed practice test to get an informed diagnostic score (but not until you complete blind review!).
    4) Add just a few points to the score- this is your short-term target score goal.
    5a) Drill logic games to stay sharp.
    5b) Identify and address weaknesses in question types.
    6) Determine timing/skip strategies according to your identified weaknesses.
    7) After sufficient preparation of 5) and 6), go back to 3).

I could make a lot of qualifications to this list, but I will simply say that the 7sage Analytics could help you achieve 5b.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe try the trial membership on here and see what you think. It's free and it has no risks.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I definitely think you can hit that because a starting score that low probably just denotes that you are unfamiliar with principles of logic, diagramming, etc that can easily raise your score. However, if you received a PT of 141 because you didn't have enough time to answer all of the questions, then I'm not sure you can improve that quickly in 3 months.

• taber605taber605 Alum Member
    19 karma

I definitely understand that there very few variables that I will be able to have an influence over in that amount of time, such as things that simply require more repetition and practice over time. I am hoping that some familiarization with the different sections of the test will give me a better idea about where I will be able to make the most improvements.