Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank you 7sage 169!

cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
edited October 2019 in General 917 karma

Its been one hell of a ride. I never thought that this would end but today it finally did. Its funny because I thought I wasn't ready and was considering delaying to study till March or June. So glad I took the opportunity to try and make it this cycle.

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma

Congratulations. Hard work pays off.

• 32 karma

BIG Congrats!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Congrats man! Really enjoyed that Blind Review session with you.

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Congratulations!!

• soniakohli1988soniakohli1988 Alum Member
    18 karma

How long did you study for and can you share what your test prep was like ? How much did you need to improve

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

@cooljon525 Congratulations on your achievement. Well done!

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    edited October 2019 917 karma

@soniakohli1988 said:
    How long did you study for and can you share what your test prep was like ? How much did you need to improve

I started studying on and off around Jan/Feb. I was ahead in school so I was able to take 2 quarters off my junior yr. I was taking a PT every other day and ended up wasting a lot of PTs. I eventually stopped taking so many tests and was just taking 1 or 2 a week. I got LR down very quickly. Anytime I saw I was missing a certain question type over and over, I would drill all the 5 stars of that question type in the question bank. Was missing around 4 in 2 LR sections. Games took me around 2-3 months to get down to get perfect. I just drilled it by game type and reviewed the games I took in PTs. Now RC is what started screwing me. I usually missed around 4 in the old tests but after test 50 my RC scores doubled to -8 or -9, sometimes -10 because of the inference/MSS questions that required a deeper understanding.

I was always scoring around 170 until the newer tests (50+), i dropped and hit a wall at 166-167, sometimes 165. I was missing so much on RC so I dedicated my summer to try and improve RC. I did feel like I was improving but it was taking too long. I felt like I might need to take a year off and my plan was to drill all the RC's of every test and read them to try to get the best understanding. While taking the tests/drilling, I encountered some of the craziest RC passages. I would spend like half an hour reading them and still have no idea wtf is going on.

This was the breaking point for me. I realized that I could delay a year and not improve that much on RC b/c they can throw those crazy passages. So I figured I would take September. I ended up missing 7 on RC which was still a lot considering it was on the easier side but I made up for it on the games. I was very lucky because this was the best test I could get. RC was easy and the games were hard. I'd rather have hard games any day than a hard RC.

• soniakohli1988soniakohli1988 Alum Member
    18 karma

Thank you for this @cooljon525