Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the meaning of "more likely"?

get that 173get that 173 Alum Member

I'm seeing a lot of LR questions worded with statements like "more likely" or "less likely."

e.g. people with university degrees are more likely to have dogs than cats

Can I interpret this sentence as university degree (positively CORR) dogs? Is there a better way to understand more likely/less likely sentences? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma

I could be wrong so please correct me someone if I am. Likely is an abstract term and adding more or less just adds to that. I interpret more likely as greater than a 50% chance of something happening and less likely as less than 50% chance of it happening. When used as a comparison such as the one in your example, people with degrees stand more than a 50% chance to have dogs than cats. There's a greater possibility of them having dogs than having cats.

help

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    401 karma

GSU is right. Likely is one of those statements where at first it doesn't look like it represents "51% or greater" but it does. So: people with university degrees have 51% or greater chance of having dogs than cats. And yes it is also a correlation.