Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LORs

2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
edited November 2019 in Law School Admissions 1810 karma

Quick question: Should professors use our first names in LORs or is that considered too informal? @help

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Recommenders can refer to you, the candidate, by your first name in their letters of recommendation.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

Thanks very much @"selene.steelman" If you have two great ones, is that enough? I have one from the head of my undergrad English department, whom I've stayed in touch with for 20 years. And then I have one from a famous gossip columnist whom I edit. I could easily get more, from a journalism professor at my graduate school and from an attorney whom I work with now...but I'm wondering if piling on the LORs is more of a nuisance from an admissions standpoint. I so appreciate your help if/when you have time to respond.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

The quality of the LOR (is it Strong, Positive, and Specific?) is more important than the quantity. Given the information you provided, I think applying with 2 great LORs is fine. Getting the attorney for whom you are currently working to write a LOR for law school would also be good since s/he would be able to write about the quality of your professional work product in a legal setting and your potential in the law school classroom. Three LORs is not piling on. All your LORs will appear in your CAS Report in a giant PDF and the admissions reader will just scroll through your materials. Good luck!