Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LORs when law is a second career

profile427profile427 Alum Member
edited May 2015 in General 213 karma
Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have a master's degree and have worked in a professional position for about six years (I'm freshly 31). I haven't taken a university course since 2008, and so I have a big span of time where I've no longer been a student. However, I have kept in contact with a few profs from undergrad and grad school.

My question is - how does someone like me handle letters of recommendation? I currently have the best boss that I've ever had, but I'm hesitant to a) reveal to this person that I'm working on exiting my current career path in 2016 and b) ask for a LOR, in light of the person losing me as an employee.

Is it better to just request LORs from previous professors? I have a few who would be willing, but it just seems odd to request a letter from a prof who oversaw my student work in 2006...Unfortunately, I have a history of "challenging" bosses, and so my current boss is the only one I feel would be relatively appropriate for a LOR.

Worst case...would a LOR from a colleague or direct report suffice? Kind of sounds odd...but I'm throwing it out there.

Please help!

Thank you

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 3438 karma
    LORs have to be from people who know you well... A letter from a colleague should suffice though @"Jonathan Wang" would be able to give better advice on this... but give this an academic professional mix... so say a couple from professors and one from a colleague... plus I seriously think that it might not be so bad talking to your boss about this if you want his LOR... just tell him that you're not sure yet but you're thinking about law school and that you would really appreciate his letter as it would aid your cause & you are asking for his letter now because you don't want the hassle of having to deal with your documents at the last minute. If he is professional, he won't mind at all. Letters from work go a long way at some schools like Northwestern that place a premium on professional experience.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I've been mostly out of school since 2008. I turned 30 in January. I've been working in customer service. One of my LORs is from my current boss, he was more than willing to do it.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @profile427 said:
    I haven't taken a university course since 2008, and so I have a big span of time where I've no longer been a student. However, I have kept in contact with a few profs from undergrad and grad school.

My question is - how does someone like me handle letters of recommendation? I currently have the best boss that I've ever had, but I'm hesitant to a) reveal to this person that I'm working on exiting my current career path in 2016 and b) ask for a LOR, in light of the person losing me as an employee.
    Wow, you and I are in almost identical situations (though I'm 2 years younger and don't have a master's). I plan to apply in Fall 2016 and will have been with my company (Lord willing) for 3 years by the time I leave in 2017 to attend law school. I have also had a lot of anxiety about revealing that I am committed to a big change in career direction (currently a Marketing/PR Executive) but I have learned a few things after collecting much wise counsel, and my outlook has changed.

Here's my advice. Don't feel guilty about making a career change. A LOR from a current employer would be very important for your application. Yes, also get academic recs if you are able. I'd say wait to ask for the letter from the boss until you actually need it to submit to LSAC. Are you applying this fall? Ask for it in August. Your employer will appreciate having such advance notice (that you will be leaving by the Fall of 2016). Make it clear that you're "exploring this option" (law school) and that you are not certain when/where/if you attend. Your decision will ultimately likely be based on how much money you receive (or rather IF you receive any money), etc. Also offer to assist in locating/training your replacement and initiating that process **once you have been accepted and submitted your deposit to law school**.

You do NOT owe your employer anything. You perform functions in exchange for a salary. It's already a quid pro quo and you're not obligated to your employer above and beyond fulfilling the duties of your role so long as you are employed. Assuming this is at-will employment and not a contract, you are under no circumstances obligated to stay with the firm for any reason.

I understand the anxiety surrounding asking a great boss for a letter since it might seem to jeopardize the relationship/continued employment. However, for a 31-year-old, going back to school or changing career is par for the course. If your employer reacts poorly to your decision to do what is reasonable and in your true best interest, well, that's not such a great boss after all. Great bosses have their employees' best interests at heart: if asking for a letter reveals your boss to be not-as-great as you thought, that's a win—you've gained insight. And if your boss IS as great as you thought, then you win: he'll write you a great letter and support you in your transition.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    It might actually turn out better than you think. I was in a the same situation last year when I asked my boss for a LOR she was more than happy to write one for me and she has actually been very supportive along the way. I feel that as long as you give them a heads up it should be fine. I let my boss know I would be taking the LSAT and depending on my score I would apply for the following cycle. I also informed her that I would be with the company for another year or so. I feel that they appreciate it more when you give them a heads up.
  • profile427profile427 Alum Member
    213 karma
    @shine.on.me said:
    One of my LORs is from my current boss, he was more than willing to do it.
    Thanks for your input! I'm curious to know how you approached it with your boss. To add some more context, I'm in healthcare, and I probably see my boss once a month, if that. She works remotely. I usually reserve the "serious stuff" for when we're face-to-face.
    213 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    I understand the anxiety surrounding asking a great boss for a letter since it might seem to jeopardize the relationship/continued employment. However, for a 31-year-old, going back to school or changing career is par for the course. If your employer reacts poorly to your decision to do what is reasonable and in your true best interest, well, that's not such a great boss after all.
    Thanks for your sharing your thoughts & experience! You've summarized my feelings quite well. For some reason I have this fear that once I reveal my plans and kindly ask for support, things will drastically change, in that I may get demoted and/or "let go." I know that sounds extreme, but the fear is real, to say the least, and it's probably clouding my judgment a bit and LSAT studies. :[
    213 karma
    @emli1000 said:
    I was in a the same situation last year when I asked my boss for a LOR she was more than happy to write one for me and she has actually been very supportive along the way.
    Thanks for your response! How did you approach the subject with your boss? Were there already "signs" that you were looking to eventually move on, or was your boss oblivious to your goals?
    3462 karma
    Well since my interview my boss knew I wanted to go to law school but I would work for her and maybe take 2 years off before going back to school. She accepted my decision and still hired me. After 6 months I approached her and told her I would be taking the LSAT soon since I had begin to study for it. I asked if she would be willing to write a LOR for me and she did it right away. The following morning she had already submitted my LOR. I asked her early in the cycle because I didn't want to wait until the last min. Also, because I did not know how much time it could take her to get it done. Some people will say yes to writing a LOR and then you actually have to keep checking on them to follow up on your LOR. It happened with one of my undergrad professors. Until I told him about the deadline approaching then he got on it asap. But I actually didn't submit any LORs from any of my professors. I've used one LOR from my boss and the second LOR came from my Orthodontist, since I've known him since I was in HS.
    7965 karma
    @profile427 said:
    For some reason I have this fear that once I reveal my plans and kindly ask for support, things will drastically change, in that I may get demoted and/or "let go."
    I have had the same fear. And if that were to be the case, then that would be my signal to get the hell out of a toxic work environment. No loss, and gain of insight and new opportunity.
    213 karma
    Thanks, guys. Do you feel it's absolutely necessary to have your personal statement/s written before you ask for a LOR? In other words, what kind of guidance did you provide your recommender for the writing process?
    7965 karma
    I've spoken with an admissions counselor about this; if it's someone who knows you well and with whom you're currently in touch, it is probably not necessary. Not having yours finished is generally not the best reason to postpone asking for a LOR. It's sort of a nice to have/here's why I want to go to law school kind of thing. If that needs to be explained to the person, then it may help—or just having a conversation with them could cover that.
    3462 karma
    I don't think it's necessary. I didn't send my PS to anyone that wrote a LOR for me. I feel that it's important that the person you ask for a LOR can speak about your characteristics and traits and why you should be given the opportunity to study at that school.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    @profile427 First off, I apologize for not getting back with you sooner. I've been out of the loop a lot. Its kinda a long story but I worked for the company I work for now and then I left for a while for another job and now I'm back. I asked for the LOR when I wasn't working for them. So, I asked via email. When I came back to work for them though I had to be clear about my plans of law school and its actually been pushed back even further than initially planned.