Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Redoing New Prep Tests or Doing Older Ones? HELP!!!

dhanneetdhanneet Alum Member
in General 138 karma
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if you could provide some insight as to which is better....doing older prep tests I haven't done yet (38-45ish) or focusing on the newer 15 or so tests that I have done untimed a couple of months ago. I'm retaking the LSAT otherwise I would have left the newer tests untouched. The advice I've gotten is to focus on 2007 and above because that's when the comparative reading comp was introduced and as the a whole the tests are better representative of what you'll actually get.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I feel as though I would def hit the untouched ones, although there are slight differences they are still LSAT question that you haven't been exposed to. You can throw in a newer retake too somewhere but I wouldn't cut out the untouched
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I agree ^. The untouched ones would probably give you more than if you just repeated.
  • kraft.phillipkraft.phillip Free Trial Member Inactive Sage
    444 karma
    I haven't posted on here in a while. I think the newer ones are better for you to do, if you necessarily have to choose between the two. I retook PTs 36+ on my second leg of studying, and I got the most out of doing the newest tests. Some students are worried that they aren't getting anything out of tests they have already taken; this is only the case if you are reviewing absolutely perfectly, which almost no one is. When reviewing, you should be absolutely exhausting a test. This means that you should review it until you are nearly certain you would score a perfect on the given PT if taken the next day. In my experience, I have never reviewed this well. However, keeping this goal in mind helped me a) not burn through PTs and b) prevent error replication. This is pertinent to your question because I found that redoing tests was a great way to discover whether I am reviewing things correctly, or if I am making silly excuses for my mistakes and not actually studying my errors, figuring out why and how I made them, and responding those problems. I also found that my redos were fairly predictive of my subsequent actual score of 173.

I hope you find this helpful. I just don't want you to be thrown when you take the actual LSAT, since it is markedly different (not just the comparative RC) than the tests even from the 40s. These are still valuable tests, but less valuable even than redoing 52+, especially if it has been a month or more that you have looked at the newer tests.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I think that you should focus on the PTs that you have not done instead. Make sure you BR too. & it wouldn't hurt to throw in a retake every once in a while. Or maybe work throw the older PT first & then when it's a month or two before the LSAT redo the newer PT that you have already taken.
  • dhanneetdhanneet Alum Member
    138 karma
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'm going to be doing a bit of a mix of both but with an emphasis on the newer ones. I forgot to mention that I've also been religiously studying the older games in an attempt to boost my accuracy, so I feel like those are all very fresh in my mind as opposed to the games sections I did a couple of months ago from the newer tests.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    When are you retaking?