Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If a person has bipolar disorder is it worth seeking accommodations for test day?

If a person was diagnosed with bipolar disorder several years after taking any standardized exam is it worth seeking accommodations for the LSAT?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think if you have a diagnosed condition that makes something about the LSAT harder than it is meant to be, it doesn't hurt to seek accommodations. I don't specifically know what sort of accommodations people have received for bipolar (are you looking for extra time? testing alone in a room?), but again I don't think it hurts to try.

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

I don’t think you would qualify tbh

People who get accommodations have learning disabilities, not mental disabilities in general (only if it impairs your ability to process information, like dyslexia or verbal processing disorders). Most people with ADHD do not even qualify for extra time. The reason for this is to keep the process fair for those that are at a disadvantage.

Plus, I can tell you from personal experience that mental disorders don’t impact performance nearly anything close to learning disabilities.

• 201 karma

I found one case where a person received extra time for being bipolar.
    I am just curious.

• 201 karma

Thanks

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

is it "ethically" right? thats up to debate

to answer your question, is it "worth it?" 100% if you get extra time your score would 100% improve enough to make it worth the amount of time you have to take to actually get accomodations approved

• 201 karma

Thanks lexxx

• You should state your case. If you are approved it may make a decisive difference.

• 201 karma

Thanks a lot Justicerequiresconsequences