Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Question about Domination and Skip Logical Reasoning in Test Preparation

zheng18552zheng18552 Free Trial Member
edited January 2020 in Logical Reasoning 24 karma

Update:
My speculation was right after finishing preptest in Preptests 70s.

To people who score very similarly as I did, you likely are and would continue be dominating LR sections. All these complaints about new tricks, wordings, trends and shifts on new tests by other people who are relatively weaker on LR sections, don't apply to you.

There may be a few tricks you can pick up along the way to speed up and decrease very marginally your error rate per LR section. But these are marginal in their very nature: I estimate they would probably only give you an improvement of a couple of points. Your time likely would have much higher value elsewhere.

So I would suggest skipping easy LR sections if you feel you are dominating LR sections.

After finishing around 40 preptests, roughly from preptest 1 to preptest 43, I found I almost always dominate logical reasoning sections:
Averagely I finish a section in about 33 minutes with an error rate of minus 3 to 0 per section[average is below 2]. [I almost never use my extra 2 minutes left to go back and re-work on the questions I felt uncertain about, just to to put more pressure on myself]

I am thinking about skipping logical reasoning sections in Preptests due to time limitation and just do a couple of later tests' LR sections, such as LR sections of preptest 75. [I have less than a month before the test date.]

However, I worry my domination may be fake: maybe early preptests are too easy in comparison to later tests such as preptest 88; maybe to maintain the "feel", a certain amount of workload must be kept; maybe a domination is defined with even higher standard; etc.

If you have some experience and insight, can you please help me with my worry?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

I wouldn’t say LR is any harder today than it ever was. I would say it is constantly evolving though. If all you’ve seen is 1-40, you might find the sudden transition to the contemporary test a bit of a shock. I’d recommend doing recent tests with the remainder of your study time. Start at like PT 72 or wherever and work every third or fourth test on your normal schedule. That lets you see some recents while holding back the majority in case you need them to prepare for future takes.

• zheng18552zheng18552 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2019 24 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I wouldn’t say LR is any harder today than it ever was. I would say it is constantly evolving though. If all you’ve seen is 1-40, you might find the sudden transition to the contemporary test a bit of a shock. I’d recommend doing recent tests with the remainder of your study time. Start at like PT 72 or wherever and work every third or fourth test on your normal schedule. That lets you see some recents while holding back the majority in case you need them to prepare for future takes.

Thank you.
    The subtlety of threshold of skipping is very hard if not impossible for me to get exactly right, especially because I don't know the unknown, if you can forgive the expression.

I am skipping all the preptests with a difficulty of less than -10 for 170: if -10 lands a test taker with a score of 170 or above, i am skipping it. This will get me to preptest 75 roughly when I take the test.

Throughout my preparation, I have a nagging feeling that once one reaches -3/-4 on a section, any further improvement would be exceedingly hard, at least in comparison with early advances.