Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Language difficulty

CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
in General 262 karma

I have recently noticed the language difficulty really plays a role in my LSAT score.
Under time pressure, I would not have enough time to read the stimulus and answer choices CORRECTLY to pick the right answer.
This leads me wonder if anyone has experience overcoming the language difficulties in LSAT? What are the things I can do to effectively improve in this area?
Also anyone can weigh in the trend of language difficulty in LSAT these years? I have recently done LR in old LSAT test, 20-40, where language seems to be quite a challenge.

Comments

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

Understanding the complicated language is necessary, but not sufficient, for achieving a high score on the LSAT. One thing that really helped me improve was to practice translating the complex language into a synthesized version of the stimulus that I could understand and remember. I would highly recommend this, especially early in your prep.

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

100% agree with @danielbrowning208 if you can try to somewhat summarize what you're reading into your own words, it will definitely help. Also, you have a lesson available in the CC with a bunch of challenging terms that tend to appear on the test! You may want to check that out!

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    262 karma

Thank you both so much for the recommendations! I will definitely look into the more challenging terms in CC!
    In general does any one see different language difficulty levels between the older PTs to recent PTs? I have done a few in 20-40, and 60-70s, and do feel the differences, although I have not mapped out all PTs.

@KingTChalla said:
    100% agree with @danielbrowning208 if you can try to somewhat summarize what you're reading into your own words, it will definitely help. Also, you have a lesson available in the CC with a bunch of challenging terms that tend to appear on the test! You may want to check that out!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

To add to this, I'd maybe read a couple RC sections--or passages from the CC from early PTs and pretend you're just reading articles then compare your work on reading to JY's readings in the videos.

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

@ciacduan I don't necessarily think there is a difference in language difficulty. I do think there is a difference between correct and incorrect answers. RC correct answers are less obvious in newer tests (partly because of referential phrasing), and nuanced language plays a role in which LR AC is correct. I think you see a lot more incorrect answers that hinge on one word in the newer tests. Even still, I wouldn't do anything else until you feel comfortable with understanding the language. Without a good understanding, you don't stand a chance on the LSAT.