Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth having my college coach write a me a 3rd LOR?

hcdbsu24hcdbsu24 Alum Member

Just wanted some input/opinions from people. I am a division one athlete whose resume is probably lacking compared to other people who have had time to do impressive and meaningful internships during the school year and throughout the summers. I’ve only had one job and have been playing my sport competitively all my life. I am sitting for the January test (PTing between 158-162, 3.75 GPA), and won’t be applying until next cycle so I will be taking a gap year. My target schools are Ohio State & Wake Forest. I already have my 2 academic LORs lined up and I am confident they will be strong. My resume shows the transferable skills of being a highly competitive athlete, but do you think it’s beneficial to get a LOR from my coach in order to showcase the skills such as competitiveness, time management, conflict-resolution skills etc. from her POV too or do you think it’s a waste of time and admissions don’t care to read something from an athletic perspective when it’s already sort of touched on in my resume? Thanks guys!

PS, my personal statement will NOT be involving athletics.

Comments

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

From what I have heard, D1 athletic participation looks excellent for law schools, as it showcases the skills you described. If you think the coach can speak well to the qualities that would make you successful in law school, I think it would be an excellent LOR. Keep in mind that I am very unqualified to answer this question; I am just relaying what I have heard from people who are qualified.

• vichinskyvichinsky Alum Member
    502 karma

I am sure its a plus. I think it helped Jay Bilas.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Ask for the LOR. Decide whether or not to use it once you've had a chance to review it.