Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using 6 months to study for LSAT

hurdlehopper101hurdlehopper101 Alum Member
in General 102 karma

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing okay during these difficult times and have all they need (or at least the capacity to get what they need). I also hope you are practicng social distancing and takign advantage of all the streaming services available!

I have decided to take a gap year to really work hard to get the score I need and want before I apply to law school. I am planning to, ideally, register for the September and/or October LSAT(s). I'll have at least 6 months to study for this exam if I use April-May to go through the core curriculum again while doing online remote learning (with a potential pass/fail transcript recording) and I will ideally start focusing on timed practice (PTs and sections) starting in June until the end of the summer and/or until I take the exam. I will be able to study full-time during the summer and potentially until I take the exam. I have not done any kind of studying since October of last year and none of the studying I have done in the last 6 months was consistent so it is safe to say I am starting from square 1, with some knwoledge of the lsat and curriculum.

I would like to get some thougths on a few things:

Reviewing core curriculum again--how do I get the most out of it?
Taking a diagnostic that is not June 2007(since I already have) but an exam that is close to the rigor of what I would expect on the more recent exams
I would like to allot at least 25-30 PTs to take under-timed conditions--- any ideas on the best batch?
Foolproofing--when and for how long (this is subjective of course but please share thoughts and experiences). Obviosuly you foolproof games that you do after PTs if you did not go - 0 but outside of that, what is the best and most efficient way to foolproof The Bundle(also subjective but see above;))?
how many PTs per week when I start timed practice?
The best time to start timed practice (regardless of my timeline)?
Who has done a study plan similar to the one I am doing?
How to avoid/deal with burnout?
Anything else I should keep in mind and/or incorporate?
I am a shooting for a 165 or better and have averaged in the high 140s and low 150s in the past (fewer than ten PTs), but that may prove to be irrelevant given my time off. Anything is possible imo so please tell me how you do this--ups and downs and all if you had a similar study plan and were in a similar scoring range.

Comments

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

RC drills can be very helpful. Same for LGs on repeat. Maybe get a ream of cheap copy paper for printing and scratch paper. Though the test is mostly digital now, it's good to get used to the scratch paper component. Burnout is very real so maybe focus on "quality over quantity" and take breaks. Also, find many sources of motivation and ignore negative comments on other forums. Never doubt that effort goes a long way. It sounds like don't worry about timing right now. It's better to work in slow increments and keep asking, in the words of an instructor, "What don't I understand?" and then don't hesitate to use the #help feature on here. Many times a forum discussion on a question, game, or passage will be just the thing to help review. And if this helps, there are ESL students, students with a lot of challenges, nontraditional students, FT workers, and veterans on here who may have struggled at first but went on to get scores that led to amazing offers. You might wish to think about volunteer work during your gap year to serve the community but also because time out from school or work gets asked about on applications.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Yea ignore the law school admission forums lol apparently everyone gets 170+ on there