Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help needed moving forward

165 Hopeful165 Hopeful Member
in General 18 karma

I'm at a point where I'm less than 25% of the way through the curriculum and am flopping around, wondering if I should continue to pursue taking PTs at the point I'm at. I've only been studying for about 3 weeks--have done my diagnostic and 1 additional (this weekend), and its clear that I remain at a point where I am guessing a lot and the scores clearly indicate that. It is clear to me that I need to strengthen my muscle memory with the rules of LR and LG because I was overall shooting into the breeze during the last PT. I recognize that I've got a long road ahead, but I'm concerned that if I'm not efficient in my approach, then I I will waste valuable time and testing material. I'm in need of some direction, please help.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27840 karma

You should not be taking PT's in the first place, so you should absolutely most definitely stop taking PT's!

Having not even finished a quarter of the curriculum, was your expectation for a PT any different than what happened? You don't have the means to do anything differently than what you did at this point.

For now, work carefully and sequentially through the CC. You get nothing for completing the assignments, so don't fall into that trap. Really study them; learn them. Once you're done, then take a PT and carefully BR it. Then reevaluate. That PT/BR is going to give you a lot of information. Much of that information is going to direct you back to different parts of the CC. Go back, and do that work. When you've done everything to address all the weaknesses exposed by that PT, then it's time to take another one and repeat the cycle.

You used the word efficient which is a big trigger word for me. When it comes to the LSAT, very few of us actually mean efficient when we say it. When I first started out, I sure didn't. What I meant was fast, but I knew that wasn't going to fly. So I subbed in efficient as if I wasn't really just asking how to do this as fast as possible without any sacrifice anything from my ultimate outcome. That was a big problem because working fast is antithetical to working efficiently.

Efficiency is the ratio between input and outcome. You pay in time and effort, you get knowledge, skill, and ability back in return. Efficient studies are those that return high ratios. Inefficient ones are those that return low ratios. Fast studies return the lowest ratios. To whatever extent speed is important: Slow is efficient, and efficient is fast. So if you want to be either efficient or fast, slow down!

• edited March 2020 63 karma

@"Cant Get Right" Thank you!! I'm in a similar boat and had this same concern for the past two weeks.

• 165 Hopeful165 Hopeful Member
    18 karma

Should I only be doing a few problem sets and quizzes after I go through a section then, and return to the incomplete sets/quizzes on a regular basis? It seems like I go through a section, understand it, do well on the quizzes or problem sets, and then appear to forget a lot of it (I'm basing this off of my attempts to try and retrieve rules that I have learned, but fail to recall several days later). Perhaps I'm overthinking this and should just go with the flow of the curriculum, and expect things to solidify down the road. I'm not taking this course very quickly, probably somewhere between 1 and 4 hours a day. All advice is appreciated!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Work through the entire CC in the order its given. I dont think you have to do ALL of the problem sets, but you want to do the lessons in order at least. Then you can worry about sections and PTs