Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My predicament

mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
edited February 2015 in General 938 karma
Hello, everyone!

So I've posted here before about my situation, but I'm going to summarize it a bit before asking for your opinions. So I was consistently scoring 156/157 before my Dec. LSAT (it was scary consistent), but it was good enough to get into the school I wanted with some scholarship (the school is right down the street from where I live). However, on test day I did not perform as well as I know I should have. I scored a 147. I was sad, depressed, and upset with myself. Anyway, I applied to the 2 schools in my area, my plan A school and my plan B school. I got into my plan B school, BUT got denied by my plan A school.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel, however. The recruiting manager of the school A said I can take the June exam, and if I do better I can be reconsidered for the Fall 2015 admission cycle. This brings me a lot of joy and a lot of stress.

My plan B school is not very ideal for me. It is about an hour away and is about 35k a year. While plan A school is 5 minutes from my house and about 21k a year. I can't imagine the amount of study time I'd be killing driving an hour to plan B school and back, and how much more money I'll owe in the long run.

Anyway, I've started up the 7Sage curriculum again. Everything just seems to click, even more than before. My LR seems to have gotten better, my RC has gotten better, my LG seem to be in tact. It's as if not studying since Dec. gave me a huge mental rest. Unfortunately/fortunately for me the pressure is back on. I'm on week 3 of the curriculum and have completed almost all of it in one day. I only feel better when I study. Studying for midterms, going to work, and etc. all feel like a waste of my time. I'm pretty much becoming an insomniac. I can't sleep, all I can do is think about LSAT and getting better. I sleep maybe 4-6 hours, wake up in the middle of the night and just start studying for LSAT because it's the only thing that eases my mind. Well, that and working out.

My friends say I'll burn out, and while I'm afraid of that as well, I just can't agree with them. This doesn't feel forced, it's almost like it's my therapy. I enjoy learning it. I genuinely enjoy learning this information, like it's all a fun game. Maybe I'm just becoming delusional.

So, here's the end. What if I do score really well. What if I break the 165 by June (which at the moment is about 8-9 points of improvement). If I get in, should I take it? Or, should I wait a year in order to get a scholarship (if I'm reconsidered in the summer there won't be any money left). I know the answer seems obvious, but like I said I feel a bit delusional. Woke up at 3am est, and it's now 8pm est (me typing this is my break).

I already tried sleeping a couple of times today but could only sleep for 10 minutes max before waking up and only thinking about LSAT.

I know this is a long post. This probably just seems more like venting than anything else, and if I wasted your time I'm sorry. Any input is appreciated. I'm off to go study some more and will be watching for any responses.

I'd like to thank J.Y. and the 7Sage team for creating this awesome site, and I'd like to thank the interactive and awesome community here on the discussion board. Congrats to all those who reached their LSAT/Law School goals, and good luck to everyone who is studying for the LSAT!

Comments

• NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited February 2015 1654 karma
    @mpits001 I think you should study diligently, take preptests with BR afterwards, retake the exam and either reapply and receive a substantial scholarship from the school down the block, or apply to better schools. There is no reason why you can't improve at least ten points, which will give you a shot at the bottom T13, that is assuming your GPA is good (3.6+). I saw a score increase of 19 points after a month and a half of using 7sage (147-166). Keep studying hard and improve on your fundamentals.
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    edited February 2015 938 karma
    @alexandergreen93 My GPA is 3.58, after this final semester of my undergrad it will be a 3.6+! Thank you for the input :D!
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2015 2654 karma
    ummmmmmmmmmm SLEEP! but not during the day! don't try to get sleep in throughout bc that will mess with your night sleep. You want to be consistent otherwise you'll never get ur 7-8 hrs a night. Also even if you really enjoy studying and learning your brain can get burntout on material so you do wanna make sure you don't go overboard, take a break once in a while, maybe 1 day a week or something (THERE IS PLENTY OF TIME TILL THE TEST) IMO study, get the hours and material in, jump way above your desired score, sit out the cycle and get a summer job, and apply to either a better school or get the best scholarship you can at the one you are currently striving for. This is your future you are figuring out, not just your UG, LS is much bigger in your life/future career. Find out what kind of schedule works best for you. Maybe waking up, working out then studying is the best way to start your day, or maybe working out right b4 sleep relaxes you more to allow for a better sleep. Again there is a lot of time so I would try to get this stuff figured out now as it can be HUGE in affecting your prep and game day performance
    edited February 2015 938 karma
    @jdawg113

I've tried sleeping! Every time I go to bed at a normal time I wake up at a random hour and can't go back to sleep. I'll probably get over it eventually though. I understand what you're saying, I should give myself a break once a week. I think the load will be easier once it's all PTs and BR. I need to set a schedule, and I need to get a good scholarship so sitting out a year may not be too bad (In the long run). We will see (my family is a huge opponent of staying out a year since I at least got accepted to a law school. They are happy for me, but I can't feel joy knowing I still have work to do and that I as only accepted to my plan B school). Thank you for your input!

Also, maybe this isn't the healthiest thing, but I plastered the rejection letter right over my computer and highlighted "I regret to inform you...." "deny admission" along with my own annotations to remind myself what this feels like as I continue to study and better myself.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Keep pushing! Remember that the whole purpose of investing so much on the LSAT is to do well on it so that you can get a nice scholarship!
    938 karma
    @emli1000

Yeah I know! I'll keep pushing :). Thanks for the motivating input :D!
  • arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
    edited February 2015 243 karma
    I totally see where you are coming from. My LSAT score back in Oct was 144. Mind you I was score 154-155 in my practice tests and thought I would get into the local school that is 30 mins away from home. Test day, I realized oh man! Time flies! I did not do enough practice exams! and when I did practice exams I was not serious about it! (my phone would buzz, I would break etc...)

My advice for you would be you need to get the foundations down. Cut out on social life, social media, social anything. Get your 7 hours of sleep, eat healthy and have a stretch schedule that you can adhere to. I don't think its healthy to get up in middle of night and do LSAT. NOOO! Once you start working on your strict schedule that alone would put you at ease daily that you studied that much and you will be able to sleep.

When I started Sage, I became SHOCKED at how much material my traditional prep course did not teach me! I learned more in 2 weeks of Sage than 4 months of a prep course. You def in the right place! Just drill! drill! Drill! take more prep tests!
  • arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
    243 karma
    strict schedule **