Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

waitlist decision

The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member

Dear all,

I am curious if any of you fellow users are students of or hav opinions about my waitlists to further shed light on my final decision if admitted to any of the three schools I have been waitlisted to. The schools are GW, BC, and Vanderbilt. I have an interest in international and comparative law. Any input would be helpful!

Thank you all!!

choices
  1. which school would you choose17 votes
    1. Vanderbilt
      35.29%
    2. Boston College
      17.65%
    3. George Washington University
      47.06%

Comments

• John.PrudenJohn.Pruden Alum Member
    34 karma

As I understand it, when you're looking at T50 schools, you're going to want to be in a location where you want to eventually practice. So personally, I would choose GWU b/c DC is going to have the most opportunities as a law student.

That being said, if you want to practice in the NE, Boston College will be better. Vanderbilt will be better for the south. It depends on your personal goals.

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

I chose GW for a few reasons. First, it has a top ten International & Comparative Law program. Next, since it is in DC, you will likely rub elbows with more people in this field of work than you would at Vandy or BC. Those connections, at least if it were me, would be more valuable than the higher overall ranking of Vandy.

For what it's worth, BC is a distant third for me, unless you are wanting to end up practicing in the Boston area.

Do you mind sharing where else you have been accepted?

• The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member
    edited April 2020 364 karma

@99thPercentileOrDieTryin Those were my only applications as I finished the LSAT late and did not do what I was capable of so I am retaking and applying to my real list in September. I am doing this to get more favorable scholarship opportunities and now I have a fine-tuned list. Also, I am unlike most people I don't care where I live. I don't have strong extended family or a reason to stay in a certain geographic area so that is a non-issue to me

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

@"The Judges" said:
    @99thPercentileOrDieTryin Those were my only applications as I finished the LSAT late and did not do what I was capable of so I am retaking and applying to my real list in September. I am doing this to get more favorable scholarship opportunities and now I have a fine-tuned list. Also, I am unlike most people I don't care where I live. I don't have strong extended family or a reason to stay in a certain geographic area so that is a non-issue to me

Then, that being the case, the connections you make while at school will be very determinant as to what opportunities you'll have during law school and beyond. GW is in DC, and would be my choice (based on what you've given me) if I were considering your options.

Of course, things like scholarship offers and other preferences would have a big impact as well.