Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NU Waitlist tips? Worth a shot in trying to get off the waitlist ?

karko2525karko2525 Member
edited April 2021 in Law School Admissions 620 karma

So I recently got waitlisted at Northwestern (honestly shocked because I fully expected an auto reject lmao) and was wondering if it’s worth a shot to try and get off the waitlist by doing their Kira interview and extra written responses. In addition, if I do this, when should I send a LOCI to NU? Is there hope getting off the waitlist? I always saw WLs as soft rejections and never really thought much about them, but I really do like NU and it’s the one WL that I feel is worth trying for right now. But I have to admit that seeing some of the crazy waitlists (U mich for example), I wonder if there’s actually any hope lol I am still waiting to hear back from 6 schools so things may change, but any advice for getting off the WL is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

What are your numbers? I read that over 90% of last cycle's incoming class did an interview. I know it says optional, but I think it's best practice to just do it. As far as worth it... it'll cost you literally nothing but maybe 20 minutes of your life, and your chances, whatever they'd be, will be better than what they are now. Cornell's is optional too and while I didn't research this cycle, I found no evidence last year of anyone getting an acceptance without having done one.

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    edited April 2021 620 karma

@canihazJD hi! I actually did the Kira interview when I applied, but there’s an additional Kira interview that’s specific to waitlist applicants in addition to a couple of written responses. So I think these are mandatory for waitlist applicants who want to be considered for admission, but my question is whether it’s actually worth a shot. I’m just concerned after seeing the exorbitant waitlists at some of the other schools (E.g. Michigan, BU, Georgetown) so it makes me wonder if I actually have a chance of getting off the waitlist. I think I will try for it though. It’s the one school I feel is worth trying for when it comes to my WL options. I am just wondering if there’s any additional tips for increasing my chances of getting off the waitlist. Do you know when I should submit a LOCI or is it not necessary since there’s the extra interview and written responses?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Ah ok... I misunderstood. I agree its likely "optional but mandatory". I'd still say its worth it for the same reasons though. I was just talking to someone today who got off the GULC waitlist which to my understanding has close to 3000 people. They are going to take someone... might as well try your best to make sure its you. Some of the admissions people here would be able to give you better advice, but I'd say time LOCIs around deposit deadlines.

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@canihazJD that gives me hope! Thank you for sharing that. I agree, it’s still a chance, right? Haha I just wish I heard back from the rest so I can make a more informed decision, but it is what it is. I’ll probably submit a LOCI either way. Thanks again for sharing your insight !