Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is it worth it to apply Early Decision?

I'm planning on applying in the next cycle, and I'm hard at work on improving my LSAT in preparation, but knowing that my top choice school (Columbia) is a definite reach, do you think it would be worth it to apply ED?

While my GPA is easily in within range for Columbia, I'm worried about how I will end up performing on the LSAT, especially now since the LSAT-flex grading system isn't really clear to me.

My thought is that with a school like Columbia it'd be pretty difficult to get a substantial merit based scholarship anyway, so I might as well increase my odds of getting in at all by applying ED. Would it be better to roll the dice with regular admissions in hopes that I might be given some kind of financial help, even if that decreases my likelihood of getting in?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/apply-law-school-early-decision/

https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/applying-to-law-school-to-ed-or-not-to-ed/

I've found these two resources helpful on ED considerations!

I'm not sure why you consider Columbia a reach for yourself if your GPA is in their range and you are prepping well for the LSAT :)

As a short answer - I don't think it's worth applying ED to your top choice just because it's your top choice, especially when ED doesn't come with a scholarship package like at NW. It doesn't seem like there is much of a boost in your chances of getting it, and losing the ability to negotiate any kind of aid seems like a huge detriment. Are you Columbia or bust? Are your only two considerations either go to Columbia or don't go to law school at all? Because it would be worth considering going to your second choice with a lot of aid over being forced to go to Columbia with no aid, if you find yourself in that position.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Applying ED makes sense if
    (1) you are certain to have a strong application ready for submission at the ED deadline,
    (2) the school is your absolute top school of choice and you would rather attend that program over all other schools, and
    (3) unless the ED program comes with a guaranteed tuition discount, you are willing to give up any scholarship negotiation opportunity down the road.

ED may be helpful if you are a splitter and the school is interested in locking in your high stat early on in the cycle.
    ED may also be helpful if your numbers are both slightly below median. If there is something else in your file that is very compelling, and the adcom is just beginning to fill the incoming class, they may feel more comfortable admitting a candidate with below median stats very early in the cycle knowing that stronger files are likely to come later on.

Different schools use ED programs in different ways and for different purposes. No matter which school you consider, your should ask yourself questions 1, 2, and 3. Good luck!