Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strongly support question

Gatsby96Gatsby96 Member

Hi everyone

I came across this question in one of my practice tests
"the statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following hypotheses?"

I am assuming this would be a strongly support question, how would you approach this type of question?

thanks

Comments

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Hi!

Yes, this would be classified as a MSS question. Your task is to take the information given to you in the stimulus and use that information to support one of the five answer choices. I approach these types of questions much like I do any other type of question in logical reasoning. I read the stimulus and try to get clear on what is being said, I want to have a good abstract idea of the stimulus before I go into the answer choices.

At that point, I can confidently go into the answer choices and eliminate anything that I do not think I can support. For example, if the stimulus talks about "some people" and an answer choice talks about "most people," I can probably eliminate that. Or, if the stimulus summarizes a medical study where a correlation is established and an answer choices tries to establish causation, that I can also probably eliminate that as well. I continue on like that until I either have an answer choice that I am happy with, or I narrow it down to a couple of contender answer choices, circle the question, and move on. I hope this helps!

• Gatsby96Gatsby96 Member
    102 karma

thankyou!

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

A good tip I heard about these that helped me is to think of this question type like a soft must be true question. Based on what you read in the passage which of the answer choices is most likely to be true? The answer choice you choose should be provable based on the stimulus. Look for soft provable language and avoid answer choices that are too strong, prescriptive or bring in information not found in the stimulus.