Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Normal" Difference Between Actual PT and BR

brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
in General 1489 karma
I've searched and couldn't seem to find this answered elsewhere. Feel free to link me to another thread if one already exists on this topic.

I am aware this will all be anecodotal information and will vary greatly from person to person but I'd still like to know, what do you all consider to be a "normal" difference in score between an actual (timed) PT score and a BR score? I am trying desperately to score consistently in the low to mid 170's. My last few PTs have been in the 163-165 range but my BR scores are consistently 174 and above. While I am happy to be able to do well when I review, it is frustrating to see a ~10 point difference between the two scores. I keep thinking that eventually my actual scores will move closer to my BR scores but so far that hasn't happened.

Any tips on what can be done to close the gap? I've worked my way through the curriculum, have done some drilling with the Cambridge Packets and am currently working my way through the LSAT Trainer. Any advice or information you'd like to share would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2015 3438 karma
    There is no such normal difference between PT and BR scores. Keep on practicing and applying the lessons that you have learnt from BR because every question is a lesson... it has a genetic twin on the LSAT... in effect, there would probably be no question that you face on the LSAT, the likes of which you have not seen before... (I say probably because once in 10 odd years the LSAT does introduce a new variant on an LR question) so if you do enough BR and learn the lessons from every question, you will definitely narrow the gap between your BR scores and actual scores. If you are doing everything correctly, then a good score is just a function of time. All the best.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Since a PT is under timed conditions and BR is not I think that because of the timing issue you may be scoring 10 pts lower on ur PT. But if you continue to practice you will eventually reach your BR score.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Niles said that pretty good, there is no normal difference. In fact the gap itself doesn't really matter much. What does matter is that BR score bc it shows how much you understand the fundamentals and gives you an idea of your potential. If you are consistently BRing in the mid 170's and PTing in the low 160's it means you have the ability to improve, you just need to find what is holding you back (reading too slowly in RC, not grasping the proper info, certain question types take too long under timed conditions, etc.) and fix it and work towards that BR score as a timed score
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Thanks for your reply. I didn't mention it in the original post but when I BR I've found it beneficial to start with a blank copy and essentially retake untimed (which may contribute to the larger jump in score). I've seen this mentioned in the forum and the general consensus seemed to be at it should be just as beneficial as a true BR with circling, etc.

The only draw back I've found is that it is hard to pin down exactly where I'm struggling (no way of finding confidence errors other than what I remember).

Any ideas on how to determine exactly where I need to focus my attention? Have you all had more luck drilling entire sections or drilling a few of a question type? I've done both. Entire sections may help with timing but it's difficult to determine what exactly where I struggle as I seem to be making an error here and there on the "harder" questions in each sections.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    well mark up the timed one (circle, or other mark) while doing timed. get a system down for a mark to mean a little trouble and a diff mark that means you really struggled that can be quickly made. Then you do your blank review, do similar markings and compare both tests, it may add a little extra time to go back and compare both but imo worth it. If you have a question marked as you struggled a lot but on BR it isnt marked at all and you got it right and dont remember struggling again then you clearly were able to figure it out, if anything try to remember back to the timed run and see if you can recall why it was difficult
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Thanks so much for your response. I'm going to focus on pinning down exactly where I'm having trouble. Admittedly, my prep up until this point has been pretty scattered. Appreciate it!