Using a Monitor - Problems with ProctorU?

jugolo96jugolo96 Alum Member
in May 2020 LSAT 103 karma

My Laptop screen is cracked and while it is not terrible, I got an external monitor a few months ago and have gotten used to just closing my laptop and using the monitor and external keyboard as if it was a desktop.

I heard for Flex exam they check if you have a secondary monitor before the exam (and assume they do not allow them). Does anyone know if I will not be allowed to use this even if I have a mirroring setup (both my laptop screen and monitor are the same, not extended).

Thanks!

help

Comments

• Sivijys-1Sivijys-1 Core Member
    44 karma

I just did this very thing on the May LSAT-Flex. You're correct to be concerned because there is an "additional monitor" rule that says you can't use multiple monitors.

I verified this with a ProctorU tech support person the night before the test. My case, like yours, was that my laptop's monitor does not produce an optimal image and that I turn the attached (laptop) monitor off and connect an alternate monitor. The spirit of the rule (I guess) is that you cannot have multiple displays of the test running simultaneously. But as long as you turn one off, and have only one monitor running, you are not violating that. Just make the case yours is an "alternate" monitor, not an "additional" monitor. They let me do it with no problems.

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

I think you will want to fill out the LSAC equipment form. I do not think such a display, even mirrored, will be allowed. You can also email or call ProctorU, but they took forever to get back to me via email.

• jugolo96jugolo96 Alum Member
    103 karma

@Sivijys said:
    I just did this very thing on the May LSAT-Flex. You're correct to be concerned because there is an "additional monitor" rule that says you can't use multiple monitors.

I verified this with a ProctorU tech support person the night before the test. My case, like yours, was that my laptop's monitor does not produce an optimal image and that I turn the attached (laptop) monitor off and connect an alternate monitor. The spirit of the rule (I guess) is that you cannot have multiple displays of the test running simultaneously. But as long as you turn one off, and have only one monitor running, you are not violating that. Just make the case yours is an "alternate" monitor, not an "additional" monitor. They let me do it with no problems.

Thanks! This makes sense. As long as I turn the laptop screen off and have the monitor be the single screen there should not be two active screens. Thank you for confirming!

• detecthistoryofficialdetecthistoryofficial Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Hope you'v passed Flex. Meanwhile suggesting you to give a whirl for an amazing metal detecting hobby, you can find a lot of useful reviews at https://detecthistory.com/