Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC Inference Help

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask for some advice on how you solve inference questions on RC passages. Something I've noticed about J.Y.'s explanations is that he encourages us to "go inside the author's mind" and try to answer from the author's perspective. But I found myself getting inference questions wrong using this approach.

An example would be PT62.1.27.
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-62-section-1-passage-4-questions/

Between A and C, I chose A, because I was trying to "go into" Jewett's mind and and see why she might be "unwilling" (the correct answer is C).

I guess my question is two-fold: 1) What is your thought process when you solve inference questions on RC, and 2) How do I stop myself from falling into the trap of over-inferring?

Comments

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

These questions are tough, but you should be looking for an AC for which you can find direct support in the passage. Consider what the author would say, but do that based on what the author either directly says or indirectly implies.

If something is not directly stated or strongly implied, you simply cannot choose that AC. If you did a good job reading and you don't remember something being stated, then it probably was not. Sometimes you will read over information, but you don't have time to re-read an entire passage just to see if you missed something.