Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commercial Prep course worth it? (Blueprint)

jegosi215jegosi215 Member
edited July 2020 in General 97 karma

Would anyone here recommend a commercial prep course like Blueprint? I'm currently stuck averaging 150, but I've only taken 9 PT's. I would like to end up scoring in the high 160's by the end of this year. I've had some pretty unhelpful and costly experiences with some other tutoring companies in the past, so I'm really only looking for the best option at this point.

Comments

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    edited July 2020 703 karma

I took Blueprint in person. It may be worth taking Blueprint for you. I think so because at 150, and I mean this with no disrespect, you should be focusing on improving at basically every aspect of the exam. Blueprint does a good job of providing frameworks to work through each section, and basically each question type. If you are attentive during class, go to all their office hours, and follow their methodology, you should expect some improvement from now until you finish. How much improvement? That depends.

https://blueprintprep.com/lsat/score-increases

That link is to their data release about score increases. 90% of users increase by five points. That makes sense. Starting from median scores, if you learn how to map logic games and improve a little across all LR, boom you have five points. Half of their users score ten points higher. I didn't but if the material really speaks to you and you get it quickly, that result is certainly possible.

In summary, it is practically the same material of the 7sage CC, but you get their instructors, resources, and time management. Don't pay sticker price. Either have a discount code, or call them and say you want Blueprint, but somebody else is offering discount. That should save a hundred dollars or more.

I went from 151 to 157 official on March 2019 with Blueprint. They laid a nice foundation because I ended with a 165 on July 2019.

• jegosi215jegosi215 Member
    edited July 2020 97 karma

@EagerestBeaver that’s awesome, thanks. One thing that’s holding me back from doing it is the fact that I’m already set with my own methods for logic games. I get around -7 to -3 on logic games with little focus on practicing those methods in between PTs, but I know if I keep at it with my logic games methods I can get to perfect for that section. So basically I’d only be signing up for their LR and RC curriculum. Would you say it’s still worth it?

703 karma

It depends. I used 7sage as well for LG, so you are fine not disregarding Blueprint but using it for practice. If you are getting a 151 while doing decently well on LG, then it probably would be. It sounds like you need to become for familiar with each question type and routinize your approach to LR and RC. Blueprint will force you to do that. If you have the funds, I don't see how it could be harmful.

97 karma

@EagerestBeaver Yea, I'm thinking about doing a free trial with them where I just get access to the live review sessions for a week. I am willing to spend the money, but only if it'll really be worth it because I've already spent a few thousand (I know it's ridiculous) on some other extremely overpriced tutoring company.

703 karma

While we can definitely complain about the price of education spending in the US (it is too expensive and unjust) it is not ridiculous because it is worth it. If you can raise your score from where it is to its target you will have offers of financial aid that are magnitudes higher than the cost you paid for prep. It is worth it if you put in the work.

edited July 2020 97 karma

@EagerestBeaver At this point, I have come to an understanding that all of these companies can be worth it, but some are just much more worth it and effective than others, and I'm only trying to work with those companies. I'm hoping that Blueprint would be able to help me reach a breakthrough. Could you describe a bit more what the curriculum is like over the 12 lessons they offer?