Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparative Reading passage strategy

student of thoughtstudent of thought Alum Member
edited July 2020 in Reading Comprehension 101 karma

Was curious to see what most peoples comparative passage RC strategy was. I used to read both passages and then go to the questions, but have since been trying the J.Y. method of reading the 1st passage, seeing what you can deduce in the answer, and then reading the second passage and going back to the questions. How many people do the former, and how many people do the latter (the J.Y. strategy)? I think there is a lot of value in the J.Y. strategy but also notice it usually takes more time to do so and ultimately takes away time from the other passages.

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts! Thanks in advance.

Comparative reading
  1. Do you58 votes
    1. Read passage A scan the questions, the proceed to passage B and go back through the questions
      37.93%
    2. Read both passages before going to the questions
      62.07%

Comments

• okkkkkkkkkkkokkkkkkkkkkk Member
    135 karma

There seems to be a consensus for comparative reading that reaffirms checking out the questions after reading one passage before moving to the next.

• open earsopen ears Member
    122 karma

I read them both first, though only because I know it works for me. Time is no issue for me on RC, and I don't have trouble keeping the information from both passages in my head without muddling info from the two. So doing the read 1,check, read 2, check method is certainly slower for me without big returns––especially since I have a bad habit of dwelling on questions rather than skipping and coming back.

Certainly a matter of personal preference, skill sets, and potential for improvement on RC. I am consistently -0 to -2 on RC, so never saw the need to try out JY's method after I tried it once and didn't find it to improve my speed on questions or judgement.

• GodsPlanGodsPlan Member
    176 karma

I find with comparative reading that it's easier when you read the first passage, look at the questions and eliminate or jot answer down pertaining to that passage you read, and leaving the passage specific questions for after you read the second one.

• DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
    edited July 2020 591 karma

I read the first passage, do the questions, then the second passage, then the questions. But it depends. You don't need to do this if you can read both passages well and do the questions without problems.

• hcdbsu24hcdbsu24 Alum Member
    103 karma

I get confused and get the information all jumbled when I read both then go on to the questions. I think it's a personal preference thing tbh. I find the return on getting more questions right is worth the extra time it adds