Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparative Passage Strategy

desire2learndesire2learn Member
edited September 2016 in General 1171 karma
I was just reviewing the comparative passage video by JY for PT 75 and had never encountered the approach of doing questions after passage A and then doing them again after passage B. Does anyone know where on 7sage I can find more about that strategy. I feel like I missed it somewhere. Do other 7sagers like this strategy/find it helpful? It seems like it would take extra time and I struggle with time on RC as it is. But perhaps it is like splitting game boards on LG where you make up the time on the questions?

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" do you know where (if anywhere) JY talks about/explains this strategy?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I use this strategy. It may take a little more time, but the level of clarity you having working through the questions before reading the second passage is enormous. Not sure if or where this appears in the curriculum, sorry:/ but I definitely endorse the method.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @desire2learn It might be explained more in the 2nd lesson on reading comp, I think titled: "Hard Reading Comprehension"

I like this method because like @"Cant Get Right" says, it increases your level of clarity while working through the questions. Try it out for a while and see how it works for you!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @desire2learn said:
    do you know where (if anywhere) JY talks about/explains this strategy?
    Not 100% sure, but @"Alex Divine" 's lesson mention starts here:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/jacobs-narrative-of-a-slave-girl-passage-analysis/
    1171 karma
    Thank you so much. @"Cant Get Right" and @"Alex Divine" you two are absolutely amazing on all the discussion forums and comment sections. I just hit my highest PT score ever on PT 75 yesterday and am a little wary of switching to a new method with only three weeks left until the LSAT. Plus I am always right up against the time clock on RC. But if it comes recommended by the two of you then I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for being such inspirations to me.
    1171 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" There was nothing in the Hard Reading Comp about comparative passages. This would be an awesome thing to add to the core curriculum. I am grateful I have found out about it with enough time to at least try it even if it is a little late in the game. Some chance is better than no chance! Thanks again for all you do.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @desire2learn Congrats in hitting your highest! If you are taking in a few weeks it looks like you are well prepared! I also see your concern with switching up right before the big day... I haven't ever really done the comparative passages any other way (except on my diagnostic and I got 8 wrong on RC, so I needed a lot of work, lol)

Also, I realized I think you're right and there really isn't a whole lesson on it. Maybe because with RC the course has you learn from watching JY analyze the passages. Definitely see how you like it though. There isn't much to it besides just reading the 1st passage and then answering the questions associated with it and then repeating for the 2nd passage.
    The only thing I will say is that at first it may take you a bit more time to adjust to doing it this way. When I first began doing it I felt like I was taking a bit longer for the comparative passages. After getting used to it, it still takes longer, but my accuracy is much better. So don't be alarmed if it takes you a bit longer...

:) Good luck!

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Only thing that I can think of off of the top of my head is the Comparative section within the Grammar section...
    https://7sage.com/lesson/comparative-statements-general
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Yeah, definitely give it a try, but so close to time, you're definitely correct to be wary of changing tactics. Try it out and kick it to the curb if it's going to take much work! Congrats on 75!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited September 2016 5120 karma
    Congrats on your score!!
    In regards to this strategy - it is comparable to what JY says in his Point of Disagree curriculum.
    I agree with everyone to not try to implement a new strategy this close to test date especially with your scores - however, I am aware of the strategy and I use it when I recognize that 2 passages/arguments are so disparate in concepts initially presented - it has been very valuable to quickly scan the questions to quickly eliminate incorrect A/C's. PT77 comparative RC is for me a great example of when to utilize this strategy, at least for me:)
    Grab a few RC comparative passages as retakes and see what you think?
    1171 karma
    Thank you @twssmith for the help.