Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on personal statement

Hi all,

I'm starting to write my personal statement and have been seeing a lot of divided opinions on whether you should include a "why you want to study law" component in your PS.

I watched the primer to admission video on 7sage and it seems like 7sage is suggesting as long as you include these three components (event - emotion - lesson), your PS does not necessarily need to address law explicitly. However, I have read in other websites which state that it is wise to somehow connect your PS to law.

I wanted to ask what you guys' thoughts are on this! thank you so much.

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

What I have heard from admissions deans is that your application (not necessarily personal statement) should indicate why you want to study law at least somewhere. Don't leave the admissions committee questioning why you are even trying to enter this field. If your resume shows that you interned at a law firm, studied political science, did mock trial, etc you probably don't need to explain your interest in law. If you studied music and are a music teacher right now, it would be helpful to let the adcoms understand why you want to pivot careers.

Some schools do explicitly ask that your PS at least mention why you are interested in law, even if that's not the focus of the essay.