Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Trainer and Logic Games

DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
in General 7468 karma
Anyone find the LSAT Trainer's notation of Logic Games (especially the characteristics and categories chapter) a little redundant? I'm wondering if I should just skip these chapters...any thoughts?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Wow, redundant? Not at all. This is very surprising to me. I find Powescore to be excruciatingly redundant. But the Trainer? What about his notation do you find to be redunant?

If you're talking about subsets—I actually do find the "two line" (not hypos—JY uses this for the "people on the bus/who get dropped off" game) approach in Powerscore to be more helpful than Trainer's subsets in *some* games. But that's the only thing I've found to be deficient in the Trainer (meaning, had I not picked that up explicitly in Powerscore I might have been at a loss, personally).

And—there's one thing JY does that I find especially helpful as well and it's not done in the Trainer: in games with lots of conditionals and rules that link up, separating/grouping the effects of the rules by singling out elements (If J -> –N; J-> –O; –O -> P; if any P, at least 2 P ... Singling out J: –N, –O, P 2+, that kind of thing).
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 7468 karma
    I should have been more clear. Redundant in relation to the 7Sage LG training. I haven't worked with powerscore yet. So far, the Trainer has been amazing (I feel like a Flaw Master now), but the LG stuff has been not quite as helpful for me. I keep finding the little differences between 7Sage and the trainer to be, well, weird. I don't know how else to describe it. I think i have this opinion because I learned 7Sage first. I'm still going to work through it though. Mike Kim and JY Ping are both my personal saviors.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor I felt the same way about the trainer's LG material and I skipped the LG portion entirely. Just make sure that if you move on, you're getting at least 90% for each question/question type (I was averaging -0/-1 on games which is why I felt comfortable moving along). Otherwise, going through the trainer can help solidify the fundamentals for you.
    7965 karma
    Having started with the Trainer I also have the experience of redundancy—but every time I return the the fundamentals (even if from a slightly different perspective), my understanding is enhanced and it's a boost to confidence.

So I guess you have to decide if you want to potentially gain either (or both) of those things or if you want to skip it altogether. Oftentimes I just read through the LGB material (I don't want to get too close to certain aspects of their method anyway) highlighting anything new or that I'd forgotten; I'm not losing anything by the refresher and it certainly doesn't take me as long to go through as the first (or second) go arounds.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 7468 karma
    I'm not quite at -1 for my LG. I'm actually doing the LG Bundle while I work through the Trainer (1 preptest with Foolproof and 1 chapter of LSAT Trainer per day). So, I'll go through the LG section of the Trainer and just deal with the weird-ness. I'm sure there'll be some benefit. Thanks for the input!
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor I hope you're pleasantly surprised ;)
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3462 karma
    I love 7Sage's method on LG. & I think it pretty simple and clear. So I've skipped the LG section on the trainer. I'm just focusing on LR/RC instead.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Yeah I would go with 7sage on those as well.