Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I wait until December

shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
in General 463 karma
Hey everyone,
Some of you may remember my story. I took the LSAT in September 2014, highly disappointed with a 145 but I have no one to blame but myself. I started prep in January for a retake by registering for an Ultimate course but I am going snails pace. I work full-time in a call-center (including commute 50-55 hours a week). I'm up to about the mid 150s guessing. I have zero family and very little friends support. It's really difficult to keep moving forward. I've done a lot of soul searching to determine that this is what I want to do. But its a uphill battle even at my best but I'm working on making that less steep. I have a 3.0 GPA but I can write an addendum that describes the semester that really brought it down. So maybe that will help. My LSAT goal is high 160s-low 170s. But of course the sky's the limit (180). I'm doing better at keeping motivated but I'm worried about the time. At this rate, it will be late spring/summer before I finish the course if I work my butt off. When I start PTs, I will probably only have the time to complete one a week. I'm thinking it may be beneficial for me to wait until December. My only concern is that I may have to rush to get in my applications in for starting school August 2016, but I don't think its too late. I know T14 is unlikely. My instinct says if I feel ready in September take the LSAT in October if not wait until December. But I like to plan things. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @shine.on.me Sounds like a good plan... you should only test when you feel right... the test is secondary... it is a means to the end... YOUR interests are primary and they are best served by taking the test when YOU feel that you can own it.. A 175 in December is better than a 165 in September!
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    Taking the LSAT before you're ready is never advisable. PT's are a pretty decent indicator as to how well you'll perform come test day, and if you're not pleased with your PT score in October then it's probably better to hold off until the December test date. One week of PTs is not enough to reach your true potential. I'd advise that you keep yourself on track to finish the course ASAP but be absolutely sure that you understand the fundamentals, otherwise PTing won't be beneficial. Once you're certain that you have a solid grasp on the fundamentals, then it's time to start PTing. How many prep tests? It's different for every person, but try to PT in the ballpark of your goal score. That being said, you know yourself better than anyone and your instincts are absolutely correct. If you feel ready for October, sit for October. Otherwise I'd wait until December. You could always try to gather application materials in conjunction with LSAT prep if you're worried about them being rushed. Maybe sit down one day and write a personal statement rough draft, then edit it piece by piece over a couple of months. That might take some of the pressure off of the application process come December. Good luck!!
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @"Nilesh S" How did you comment faster than me? You're like a wizard...
    @shine.on.me It's a good point that a higher score in Dec. is better than a lower score in Oct... Definitely something to think about when considering your test date.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    LOL I probably posted while you were composing your comment @VegMeg55 :D Though I am online more these days :D
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Wait until you're fully prepared to take the LSAT. Of course, that seems like it'll never happen to anyone lol. Do NOT rush to take it. It's not recommended! & you know you can always come on here for support/motivation! :)
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    Thanks everyone. This whole situation has been an exercise in patience. I think all I can do once again is keep moving forward one day at a time.

@emli1000 one of my favorite things about 7Sage is the community. I like the support I get here. :-)